Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1300337 times)

Ok I agree that onboard wifi is a great idea but seriously a hand drill is not expensive at all. In fact, you should have one already
I dont even have onboard wifi, I have a separate wifi card in my case
and drilling a hole in the wall, stretching the cable up a story, drilling holes in my room, covering up the holes, tweaking everything isnt worth it
wifi is way better in this case

wireless-N is a standard these days. 480 mbps

wired ethernet can do 1000.
even the old school ethernet ports that run 100 are way way WAY more then you will ever need for games lol

and your isp wont even let you run that much data to a single server on the net.
nor will that game, or other persons server allow you to send or receive that much over the net.

the idea that wired is better is a fallacy based on old tech from the 90s.

in certain cases it is the best though.
i tried a ~$20 wireless dongle. was stuffty.
i tried a ~$20 wireless card. got 15mbps, GPU was blowing hot air onto it constantly so it would overheat and i'd get 5mbps if i played a game for more than 15 minutes.
i tried a $20 50ft ethernet cable run across the ground, up a wall to the stairs, into my room. no drilling required. took 10 minutes to set up. 30mbps, no overheating problems.

I mean, I'm down in the basement in the next room over to my router. My dad's got a 500ft ethernet spool so I just drilled through the wall and crimped the cable myself. I didn't buy a wireless card because I was already over budget by about $100. With the ethernet I get significantly better ping and slightly better download speeds than my 802.11b/g/n laptop. Also the router fizzles out occasionally, my phone and laptop lose the network occasionally, but it never happens to my desktop.

I'll say it so you don't have to: it's most likely a stuffty router. My dad still uses CRT monitors, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's old. That doesn't matter though, the point is that ethernet can complement existing tech in your house if you don't have the money or drive to upgrade

Whats wrong with CRT monitors?
That aside, aren't ethernet cords suppose to also go faster?

Whats wrong with CRT monitors?
...are you kidding me
unless you are living in the 1990's

...are you kidding me
unless you are living in the 1990's, that is
I still use a CRT, we've used it for years and its still going strong. Compaq 7500, has yet to fail me aside from it using too much blue at random.

I still use a CRT, we've used it for years and its still going strong. Compaq 7500, has yet to fail me aside from it using too much blue at random.

gross

Pretty.
What does that have to do with my monitor?

I didn't read it correctly
my bad
EDIT: Holy stuff I didn't mean to say it like that, I meant to say you arent that rich, so thats expected
sorry jesus christ.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:07:25 PM by Nal »

Okay so my friend is trying to build a computer for less than $1000. I was wondering if what Mack posted in the original post is still correct and the best option.

Okay so my friend is trying to build a computer for less than $1000. I was wondering if what Mack posted in the original post is still correct and the best option.
No, all of the builds in the OP are way out of date

No, all of the builds in the OP are way out of date
Yup. Most parts get outdated pretty quickly.

And since you mention it, Mack should update the OP.

I didn't read it correctly
my bad
EDIT: Holy stuff I didn't mean to say it like that, I meant to say you arent that rich, so thats expected
sorry jesus christ.
Why are you acting like I'm mad? I was just asking what the correlation was.

But seriously, what is wrong with still using a CRT? Its perfectly fine, no need to go out and buy a new monitor.