[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310916 times)

what distro are you running on the d620? i have one and any distro (ubuntu, mint) i've tried hasn't run very well

I'm considering an upgrade to Windows 8 from Vista. I ran the upgrade advisor thing and it said everything would be fine (except for some bootsecure thing that i read up on and don't care about), but I've never 'upgraded' to a newer Windows version before, and I was wondering if there was anything specific I would want to do or know beforehand.

I'm considering an upgrade to Windows 8 from Vista. I ran the upgrade advisor thing and it said everything would be fine (except for some bootsecure thing that i read up on and don't care about), but I've never 'upgraded' to a newer Windows version before, and I was wondering if there was anything specific I would want to do or know beforehand.
Anything other than Vista is a worthy upgrade.  If you have any files you want then you need to get something to back them up on, even though you can keep all your files when upgrading, I like to do it jsut as an added safety measure.

Anything other than Vista is a worthy upgrade.  If you have any files you want then you need to get something to back them up on, even though you can keep all your files when upgrading, I like to do it jsut as an added safety measure.
Yeah, I've already done that.

Does anyone know about how buying through the Microsoft store works? I'm guessing the DVD option will ship it to you, but does the download one just give you an .iso and a key?

Bump with an issue I posted on the Steam forums.

I've been having a major problem recently. When downloading large games off Steam (5GB +) my PC will completely (sound + graphics output incl.) freeze and a hard restart is required. This freeze will ALWAYS occur at 15% download progress no matter how large the game I'm downloading is, my PC will download the files fine once I restart but the installation will always be broken. When I verify that game's cache and start downloading the missing files it will freeze up in exactly the same way and download the rest just fine once my PC starts back up again but the install will still be just as broken as before.
Also; after recovering from the crash various Steam settings will be reset. Things like chat notifications, notification audio and CD-Key notification boxes which I had previously set to "Do not show me this again".

Relevant specs are as follows:

HDD: WD1002FAEX
MB: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

Anyone else have experience with such an issue?

I'm currently testing to see if I can download things from outside of Steam without issues. It might be worth noting that during the most recent freeze my download speed was about half of my average.

Edit: Just finished torrenting a 25GB file and my PC did not freeze, I'm starting to believe that it is an issue with Steam
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:23:53 PM by Tokthree »

Have you tried reiinstalling Steam?

Don't know how to do that without losing all my games

Don't know how to do that without losing all my games

As long as you back up all your games onto a flash drive or something you can probably just move them back when you reinstall.

As long as you back up all your games onto a flash drive or something you can probably just move them back when you reinstall.

>500GB

Try again.

Do you have an older hard drive with enough space that you can use?

Well you could always just save any mods or saves in a different folder and move them back after you reinstall your games.

Just drag your SteamApps folder to your desktop.

what distro are you running on the d620? i have one and any distro (ubuntu, mint) i've tried hasn't run very well
arch