Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311171 times)

I swapped out my Latitude D630 laptop to use as a server, and bought a used $50 D620 (missing parts, had said missing parts, was in really good condition).

The D620 has a Quadro NVS 110M in it, and it looks like it just sucks power up endlessly. I could get 14W usage when in use on the D630 (integrated Intel GMA965), but i get 35 - 40W on the D620.

Would underclocking it help save power and also help it not get really loving hot on the bottom? I have it running stable at a 140MHz memory clock and a 40MHz core clock, but I'm curious if that'll even do anything leaving it there.

EDIT: Safely pushed it down lower to 100/30, runs just fine without compositing (running Linux) on.
EDIT2: Installed and tested PHC to get as low as an undervolt as I could get on the CPU, that saved another 5W; also forced the powersave CPU governor, saved another ~2W.
yeah um why the forget would you ever use the dell stuffitude laptops for a server

Acording to a post
ok
My dream PC would have a Haswell-E CPU (this would honestly be good for gaming and programming), 16GB RAM, and 4 SLI Titans (these seem to be dual-purposed for gaming and programming).

I already have my second dream PC, it's an eco-friendly nettop that looks good and runs games. I should upgrade its RAM from 4GB to 8GB, though. A better GPU would be nice (currently equipped with the sucky Radeon 6630M) but it's soldered on, and upgrading it (if it's even possible) might make it run too hot.

yeah um why the forget would you ever use the dell stuffitude laptops for a server
can I just get an answer; it runs fine for what I need it to do.

can I just get an answer; it runs fine for what I need it to do.
What is your current CPU clockrate?

What is your current CPU clockrate?
On the D620, 1GHz, undervolted as well. It's a C2D T7200.
On the D630, 2.5GHz, but I'm assuming you mean the 620.

My dream PC would have a Haswell-E CPU (this would honestly be good for gaming and programming), 16GB RAM, and 4 SLI Titans (these seem to be dual-purposed for gaming and programming).
Why x4 Titans? You'll hardly use your third or fourth one. If you don't really do intense gaming you can definitely live on one Titan GPU, if not so you can do programming too at the same time with the one GPU.

It'll save you a lot of money and you can spend it on something like more monitors or some other sick output devices.

I know it's your dream PC, but 4 SLI Titans, it's a bit over the top for even a top end PC.

Why x4 Titans? You'll hardly use your third or fourth one. If you don't really do intense gaming you can definitely live on one Titan GPU, if not so you can do programming too at the same time with the one GPU.

It'll save you a lot of money and you can spend it on something like more monitors or some other sick output devices.

I know it's your dream PC, but 4 SLI Titans, it's a bit over the top for even a top end PC.
Not to mention that the 780 ti is faster than a titan...

I swapped out my Latitude D630 laptop to use as a server, and bought a used $50 D620 (missing parts, had said missing parts, was in really good condition).

The D620 has a Quadro NVS 110M in it, and it looks like it just sucks power up endlessly. I could get 14W usage when in use on the D630 (integrated Intel GMA965), but i get 35 - 40W on the D620.

Would underclocking it help save power and also help it not get really loving hot on the bottom? I have it running stable at a 140MHz memory clock and a 40MHz core clock, but I'm curious if that'll even do anything leaving it there.

EDIT: Safely pushed it down lower to 100/30, runs just fine without compositing (running Linux) on.
EDIT2: Installed and tested PHC to get as low as an undervolt as I could get on the CPU, that saved another 5W; also forced the powersave CPU governor, saved another ~2W.

My question is why would you underclock it if you plan to use it as a server? You need the CPU power to be constantly running at it's best.
Also laptops shouldn't be used as a server. They overheat really quickly. A normal cheap desktop could do that job.

Not to mention that the 780 ti is faster than a titan...
Doesn't the titan have a little bit more shader units or a higher shader clock I remember someone saying that?

There's not that much difference in performance. Essentially they are the same card, but one is a lot less expensive.

Doesn't the titan have a little bit more shader units or a higher shader clock I remember someone saying that?
no. 780 ti is superior in every way except double bit performance, which is useless in games
There's not that much difference in performance. Essentially they are the same card, but one is a lot less expensive.
actually a pretty respectable difference. dont know why people jack off to the titan when 780 ti is better

The 780 ti is the fully unrestrained version of the kepler architecure, except for the circumcision of its dp compute performance
The titan's gpu is not fully unrestrained (excepting dp compute)

Similar to how the 290 is the cut-back version of the 290X, the titan is the cut-back version of the 780 ti

My question is why would you underclock it if you plan to use it as a server? You need the CPU power to be constantly running at it's best.
Nononono, the 630 is the server; it's running full speed.
The 620 is literally just for school now at this point.

Also laptops shouldn't be used as a server. They overheat really quickly. A normal cheap desktop could do that job.
This has been going fine at about 120F for 17 days straight as of now, ~150 under heavy load.
Plus I used that normally for about 2 years with really heavy tasks anyways, it's fine.

And no, I was using an older computer with a 700MHz CPU and the load it was taking was just something it couldn't keep up with. That and it sucked up power ridiculously bad.