Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1307896 times)

there are 3rd party apps depending on brands and models. im sure most types wont oc, or do it safely.

How does one overclock a monitor. I want to do this, I hate being capped at 60 fps when I can run better than that.  :panda:
Go into NVidia's control panel and create a custom resolution. Steadily increase the refresh rate and press test until your monitor displays "frequency out of range" or gives you a black screen.

Go into NVidia's control panel and create a custom resolution. Steadily increase the refresh rate and press test until your monitor displays "frequency out of range" or gives you a black screen.
That sounds like a real stuff idea.

Suggest me a gpu that costs less than $80

It has to:
Not bottleneck my amd athlon 64 x2 5000+
Be backward compatible with pci express 1.0 x16
Not exceed my psu's maximum voltage (300 volts)

Attachement is a picture of inside my computer (i can't upload to imgur on my ipod touch 4g)

I think you'd be better served saving that $80 to build a PC that isn't so wildly out of date. I'd be surprised if you could even run an OS newer than Win XP on that thing. I mean, IDE cables? Wow, as far as relevant benchmarks for age go that one's pretty well up there with dinosaur bones
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:01:55 PM by Tokthree »

I think you'd be better served saving that $80 to build a PC that isn't so wildly out of date. I'd be surprised if you could even run an OS newer than Win XP on that thing. I mean, IDE cables? Wow, as far as relevant benchmarks for age go that one's pretty well up there with dinosaur bones

I have run Windows 7 on IDE cables before just for stuffs and giggles, it runs slow as forget, but then again I wasn't using as outdated of hardware as it was only 2008 era hardware.

I use windows 7 pro 64 bit

Cpu: Amd athlon 64 x2 5000+
Gpu: Nvidia Geforce 8600 gt 256mb
Ram: 2gb ddr2
Hdd: 160 gb (149 gb usable)

Edit: just stop complaining about my stuffty specs for forgets sake
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:07:26 PM by 77x5ghost2 »

From what I'm getting from other responses, the fact is the components are so old, that you don't really have a choice to get something more up to date. It's not really a complaint, moreso a requirement.

From what I'm getting from other responses, the fact is the components are so old, that you don't really have a choice to get something more up to date. It's not really a complaint, moreso a requirement.
My dad will only buy a gpu and more ram (4gb) and i won't get it until christmas
Also i have to wait a year for a better cpu

I have no money and i have no job and my mom refuses to buy anything for my computer
So i have to deal with these specs

Okay, I've been living with this stuff PC for a long time, and our family just got some money so I'm allowed to build a computer with like, up to $3000 (though my mom obviously wants lower than that). Um... recommend me stuff? I mostly just want a gaming computer, but I do rendering stuff with videos too so anything that speeds that up would be nice.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:43:51 PM by TristanLuigi »

Well, you won't receive any help from me. First of all I know jack stuff about components that old and second of all I refuse to help you waste your Christmas present on something that can't even be classed as an upgrade.

My dad will only buy a gpu and more ram (4gb) and i won't get it until christmas
Also i have to wait a year for a better cpu

I have no money and i have no job and my mom refuses to buy anything for my computer
So i have to deal with these specs

Okay, I've been living with this stuff PC for a long time, and our family just got some money so I'm allowed to build a computer with around $3000 (and possibly even more). Um... recommend me stuff? I mostly just want a gaming computer, but I do rendering stuff with videos too so anything that speeds that up would be nice.

With a budget like that I wouldn't ask around here, Bisjac is probably the only person who has ever spent anywhere near that much money on a PC, probably better to ask around on sites with more enthusiasts, maybe tomshardware.co.uk; make a thread in the systems section of their forum explaining what you want, your budget and what you want to use it for, let them know they don't need to use the entire budget and hopefully someone there will come up with something for you. I've never asked for full system builds on there though so I don't know if they do that sort of thing over there.

Edit; Follow this guide from their forums: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

I use windows 7 pro 64 bit

Cpu: Amd athlon 64 x2 5000+
Gpu: Nvidia Geforce 8600 gt 256mb
Ram: 2gb ddr2
Hdd: 160 gb (149 gb usable)

The only option in your case is to buy a used card from eBay. I've found a few which should be a decent upgrade without blowing up your PSU (from fastest to slowest):
Nvidia GeForce GTX750ti (faster than 560ti, get this one if you can)
Nvidia GeForce GTX550ti
Nvidia GeForce GTX650
AMD Radeon HD6790
AMD RAdeon HD6790 (another one)
AMD Radeon HD7770
AMD Radeon HD6770
AMD RAdeon HD7750

There's a few more which you should be able to afford, but you'll need to upgrade your PSU first; something like this should be good enough, even though it's a few years old.
AMD Radeon HD7870
Nvidia GeForce GTX560ti
AMD Radeon HD6870
AMD Radeon HD5850
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:35:04 PM by Pentium »

That sounds like a real stuff idea.
I've had my monitor overclocked for over a year now. It works just fine.

How is it a stuff idea?

Okay, I've been living with this stuff PC for a long time, and our family just got some money so I'm allowed to build a computer with like, up to $3000 (though my mom obviously wants lower than that). Um... recommend me stuff? I mostly just want a gaming computer, but I do rendering stuff with videos too so anything that speeds that up would be nice.
Holy mother of god.
I've had my monitor overclocked for over a year now. It works just fine.

How is it a stuff idea?
I'm saying its probably a stuff idea to tell him to just play around with it. From what I've heard, overclocking is something that you should research and really have a good idea on what you're doing before you just start messing around. Though I've never done it, so what do I know?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:07:27 PM by Oasis »

My monitor is 60hz but I overclocked it to 72hz.
It's not a noticeable difference though.
72Hz is a normal refresh rate, still supported by most monitors. If your rate was 97Hz or some stuff, that'd be out-of-the-ordinary.