Author Topic: 2013/03/11 - Blockland r1855  (Read 59353 times)

Was making shaders really worth it? They don't even work for some people!!!!! So was ACTUALLY worth it? :panda:

Yes. He did not remove interiors and terrains for shaders. Removing interiors and terrains allowed for shaders. It's been a while, so I can't remember the summaries, but I believe interiors and terrains were inefficient, incompatible, etc. They didn't fit the game well and limited how well they could make the game run, for instance.

They were compatible, but they complicated the code so much that updates were taking years.

Yeah, sorry I couldn't remember that. What I was thinking when I said incompatible was how they didn't interact with light correctly, weren't easy to align to grids, etc. They did have 1-3 minor advantages, but even those weren't perfect.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:43:56 AM by MegaScientifical »

GarageGames are phasing out interiors anyway. They're replacing them with DAEs.

GarageGames are phasing out interiors anyway. They're replacing them with DAEs.
what

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA
So basically improved physics, more defined figures/models, and allows importing of user-created content? I feel like i'm missing something.

But it doesn't mean anything terrain-related, right?

It's not happening to Blockland, by the way. They're doing this to Torque3D.

Setting the bot name does not make it show above their heads?

Obviously not.

If you're in a minigame and you get killed by a named bot (let's say it's called MisterBot), it will say "MisterBot (gun) Sir Dooble", for example.
Presumably there are other uses too.

So uhh.. How do you put a name above their heads?

delays dont work when you are using goto events...i put in 2, one with a delay and it went straight to the second brick.