Author Topic: bring back the Maps!  (Read 6613 times)

I can run max shaders, and I think that it wasn't worth removing maps for, that.

I just want to jump off a loving building.

Use.
It.
To.
Look.
At.
Threads.
Like.
This.

It wasn't worth exchanging terrains for shaders that don't work for 50% of us.
yes it was
this game looked so outdated without shaders. the maps and terrain were horrible systems with ugly textures that didn't do anything but help lazy forgets be even lazier. this is a building game, not an exploration and rat simulation game. it was neat, but not at all used for much of anything that had to do with the core elements of the game, ie building. any serious BUILDING project almost always was built on slate. building something cool on a weird map is stupid because it can't be even loaded anywhere else. you're all the same people that try to stop technological advantages so you can live in the stone age. don't stop progress.

yes it was
this game looked so outdated without shaders. the maps and terrain were horrible systems with ugly textures that didn't do anything but help lazy forgets be even lazier. this is a building game, not an exploration and rat simulation game. it was neat, but not at all used for much of anything that had to do with the core elements of the game, ie building. any serious BUILDING project almost always was built on slate. building something cool on a weird map is stupid because it can't be even loaded anywhere else. you're all the same people that try to stop technological advantages so you can live in the stone age. don't stop progress.
increase max texture size. easy fix by the developers
there are lots of features we have that don't focus on building. just because it offers a different building approach instead of being completely free in a slate doesn't make it a bad feature. setting up forts in a bedroom is neat because you have to shape them to fit what you are given. you work with the dresser and turn it into a tower just like you would playing with legos in real life.
wtf is this stuff? having terrain maps doesn't mean you are stuck in the stone age. you can have bricks, terrain, interiors and more with shaders. i haven't heard of a secret coding ritual preventing you from having two good features at once, though i have heard of a secret lazy ritual that works like that.

wtf is this stuff? having terrain maps doesn't mean you are stuck in the stone age. you can have bricks, terrain, interiors and more with shaders. i haven't heard of a secret coding ritual preventing you from having two good features at once, though i have heard of a secret lazy ritual that works like that.

Terrain was removed to promote further/easier development, stone age man.

Terrain was removed to promote further/easier development, stone age man.
thats how it works with all features. the more you cut, the less you have to worry about. removing vehicles and their physics makes it easier to work with player physics. you can rewrite systems to make them easier to work with. i've seen so many cases where indie developers scrap their engine because it was all poorly patched together. but, of course, they remade it to be better than before by adding new features while keeping, yet improving, the original ones.

people are going to complain and justly so. thats what happens when you remove things people have gotten used to. the developers say "its going to increase update speed" but people have yet to see anything more than "official" add-ons. if people are going to be satisfied, they are going to want to see their old features back, or at least a way to compensate.

a vehicle physics update would be nice. if you've played my tdm, you see how stuffty tanks work with the bricks and how planes can fly through cubes, jeeps can drive through walls, and tanks get stuck on 1x height slopes. of course. a way to loop a "brick terrain" would be cool as well, that way even if we don't use the whole thing, the map doesn't just awkwardly end with steep cliffs or infinite space.

players would like to at least hear about features like this possibly being added in. it would be nice if we saw the "true power" of terrain/interiors being cut

thats how it works with all features. the more you cut, the less you have to worry about. removing vehicles and their physics makes it easier to work with player physics. you can rewrite systems to make them easier to work with. i've seen so many cases where indie developers scrap their engine because it was all poorly patched together. but, of course, they remade it to be better than before by adding new features while keeping, yet improving, the original ones.

people are going to complain and justly so. thats what happens when you remove things people have gotten used to. the developers say "its going to increase update speed" but people have yet to see anything more than "official" add-ons. if people are going to be satisfied, they are going to want to see their old features back, or at least a way to compensate.

a vehicle physics update would be nice. if you've played my tdm, you see how stuffty tanks work with the bricks and how planes can fly through cubes, jeeps can drive through walls, and tanks get stuck on 1x height slopes. of course. a way to loop a "brick terrain" would be cool as well, that way even if we don't use the whole thing, the map doesn't just awkwardly end with steep cliffs or infinite space.

players would like to at least hear about features like this possibly being added in. it would be nice if we saw the "true power" of terrain/interiors being cut
Well said sir. Removing terrain and not adding it back in is just kinda lazy.

sigg'd.

This should be an official statement about the concern regarding V21, terrains, and updates.

dont worry guys ill bring back the maps using magic!

just wait k?

People like you deserve bans.

This x100
Don't get me wrong, the content being produced is pretty quality, it's nothing near what I was expecting when they removed interiors and terrain. Like heed said, it's just a bunch of "official" add-ons. I remember being so excited for the events update and the physics updates because they added things that add-ons couldn't and really changed the way both modders and normal players could interact with the game.

I wanna see more updates like that :x

i dont want interiors or terrain back. if they're going to add anything similar, let it be a redone or completely new system that isn't so difficult to work with and old. terrain maps for a lot of people became an excuse to place down 3 buildings on one side and 3 on the other and call them bases and then have some shoddy fighting. basewars is about the only good argument involving terrain. now, a player cant just plop down 2 square huts on opposite sides of the map and call it a server, nobody ever joins these. (except tezunis but thats just not even a statistic) in a way, i think shadows and shaders have promoted people to build more and build better and im totally fine with this. tdms and etc are always better done and executed on a brick-made structure or area.

I remember being so excited for the events update and the physics updates because they added things that add-ons couldn't
Events have been done as an add-on before the official ones and the ones we have now could also have been done with an add-on