2013/06/01 - Blockland Sales Data

Author Topic: 2013/06/01 - Blockland Sales Data  (Read 46040 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
I posted this on greenlight, so I figured I'd post it here too.

Let's cut right to the chase and look at the monthly sales chart:

Over the past 6 years, Blockland has sold approximately 40,982 copies.  There is no initial spike or long tail, it's just consistent sales year after year with only slight drop off.  Release on Steam would probably improve these numbers, but even if they just held steady it would be brilliant.  

The you-pay-money-for-it version of Blockland went on sale in February 2007.  Since then, the website has received 3,462,063 unique visitors.  Dividing by the number of sales, we can see that one in every ~85 people who visited the website purchased the game - a conversion rate of ~1.18%.  The conversion rate from demo downloads to sales is around 3.63%.  Estimates for average conversion rates vary wildly, but considering that this includes all visitors and several years where the website was crappy looking, I'd say these numbers are pretty good.

Ok so people buy it, but do they like it?  Are they satisfied with their purchases?  I know when people purchased the game, and I know the last time they logged in.  By subtracting these two values I can get a measure of how long they've been playing the game.  They may have taken breaks, but they came back to the game.  When you graph those values it looks like this:

We can see that at least 50% of all players have played the game for at least one year, and many continue to play for 2 or 3 years.  Not a bad value for $20.

Blockland has a forum that is restricted to only paying customers and like it or not, it is popular.  As of this writing, it has approximately 6.3 million posts.  It gets between 6 and 9 million page views per month.  

So why am I posting this?  In the recent greenlight chat, Valve confirmed that greenlight ranking alone is not sufficient for approval.  Other factors are considered, including sales performance on other platforms.  Several times now, greenlight games ranked below Blockland have been approved while Blockland has been passed over.  There must be some perception that Blockland does not sell.  Hopefully these numbers will correct that perception.

If you're curious, here are the current greenlight statistics.  We've been drifting around the 20's for quite some time now.  To move up to the top 10, Blockland would need another 10,000+ votes in a short amount of time.  Since I'm not an internet celebrity, that doesn't really seem possible.  Also it doesn't really matter because games in the 40's have been greenlit.  

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:42:36 AM by Badspot »

Interesting numbers. I didn't know the sales where that consistent. What are those two spikes? I guess the last one is the 75% discount weekend, but I'm not sure.
The average time spent in Blockland is really good. I own several Steam games that I've never even played, and I know a lot of other people have this as well. Blockland is probably one of my most played games.

If those numbers don't convince the Greenlight guys, then there's something wrong with them.

montly sales chart
Monthly*, Also this is pretty neat. I've played Blockland for quite a long time now.

Pretty cool that we're beating the average top fifty in every category.

That's actually pretty cool...
I was thinking about this the other day, too.

I think a year retention for 50% of players is really good.

How long do you plan to support blockland?  Do you think you might eventually work on another game down the road?

You have several grammar errors and typos in the greenlight post, like "there" instead of "their" and a typo in the graph title.

You have several grammar errors and typos in the greenlight post, like "there" instead of "their" and a typo in the graph title.

No problems with his 'there' usage where 'their' would be needed, and I don't see the typos in the graphs.

Actually, I see no grammar issues in the greenlight post at all.

You do know 'their' is possessive right?

No problems with his 'there' usage where 'their' would be needed, and I don't see the typos in the graphs.

Actually, I see no grammar issues in the greenlight post at all.

You do know 'their' is possessive right?
"« Last Edit: Today at 05:42:36 AM by Badspot »"

You posted "« Today at 07:13:53 AM »"

But anyway, could we have been skipped over due to a major feature (shadows and shaders) aren't available to a lot of people?

I think Valve is being a richard, I would see tons of games on greenlight that were not released (still in development) and then greenlit. Where are the sale statistics now? Even if there were, most of the games on greenlight are indie games that are unknown to the public, thus having a very low sales rate and yet they still pass and then MAGICALLY Blockland doesnt. Blockland's sales rate should be able to blow the roof off on a bunch of other indie games on greenlight.

I think Valve is being a richard, I would see tons of games on greenlight that were not released (still in development) and then greenlit. Where are the sale statistics now? Even if there were, most of the games on greenlight are indie games that are unknown to the public, thus having a very low sales rate and yet they still pass and then MAGICALLY Blockland doesnt. Blockland's sales rate should be able to blow the roof off on a bunch of other indie games on greenlight.
I agree with this, 62 games are greenlit, and almost half of them are from the very first group of greenlit games, still not released yet. Only 35 games have been released, most of them being games you could have already bought before being greenlit. If sales of a game are suppose to affect being greenlit or not, most of these games shouldn't be on there anyways. I think that they should change it to only games that are actually released and making profit should be able to be greenlit.

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing this, Badspot!

#21 is pretty decent.

#21 is pretty decent.
Decent isn't good enough. You're either in or you're out, it's as simple as that. Currently, we're out.