TITANIC (Latest update pg. 38. Current as of 13 Mar 15)

Author Topic: TITANIC (Latest update pg. 38. Current as of 13 Mar 15)  (Read 80424 times)

With that tone, I'm not sure you're welcome on the server.
okay, thanks for answering my question.

He's afraid people will steal it and claim it as theirs.

Understandable.

This is the big reason. With our heavy reliance on add-ons and client changes, including several which are not publicly available, a build theft attempt wouldn't convince anyone, even a newbie who hasn't seen this thread.

okay, thanks for answering my question.

If you want a helpful answer, try not being a richard right away. Those add-ons  were made for this build and it's not my call to release them.

i take it back, this build is simply too amazing to worry about the custom bricks

to see it ingame is just amazing

i take it back, this build is simply too amazing to worry about the custom bricks

to see it ingame is just amazing
Thanks! These bricks are incredibly context-specific, to the point where using them on a different build would be using them wrongly. For example, the compass platform stand brick is too wide to be used as an antenna base, too short to be used as a radio tower, and the way it inclines downward and outward makes it ineffective as a scaffolding support. It was designed specifically to replicate the compass platform stand, and cannot effectively be used for any other purpose.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:20:57 PM by RMS Gigantic »

Here's my update tonight:

On a more serious note, here's one shot containing 5 or 6 things that haven't been posted yet. There's a lot going on. More will be explained soon when this area is more completed.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:02:30 PM by Bones4 »

Bones, that is a positively SCANDALOUS first image for an update! That picture is at least a few HOURS old!

But yes, as you could all clearly tell, that picture is from the early stages of my work building a top view of the ship's steering engines:

Here's what the top view looks like now:

For those who might have thought that Bones' picture might have been depicting something else, you might be wondering, "Steering engine? What's that?" To which I respond, "It's an engine, kind of like a scaled down version of the main engines that help move the ship, but whose sole task is to turn the rudder." You might retort, "Why do they need an engine? Why don't they just use hydraulics like airplanes use to turn their rudders?" To this, I reply, "Titanic's rudder weighed 101¼ tons. You're going to need a lot more than just hydraulics attached to a wheel to move that thing."

There are actually two engines here: only one would ever be hooked up to the rudder at a time, while the other stands by as a backup in case the other one fails. Yay, fail-safes!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:11:09 AM by RMS Gigantic »

A comparatively small update tonight as I show off some progress on one of the ship's steering engines. I'm really into this steering system at this point, to the point where I can describe precisely how the engines and tiller work!

In the foreground is the engine so far, with the gear that rotates the tiller taking center stage. Below are the multiviews and templates being used to help with construction.

The "TSS" is a (I hope) placeholder for a 3-wide print looking something like the following (except with white lettering):

T.S.S TITANIC
STEERING ENGINE
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:19:55 AM by RMS Gigantic »

The steering gear is still not quite yet complete (in the picture below, you can see that the engine on the right is not yet complete, though the one to the left is), so I won't get into the details of its components, but here's a teaser of things to come:

This will be the final location of these engines. More on this later.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:00:03 PM by RMS Gigantic »

Nasa and Hugums worked together on the boiler interior today.

Exterior:

Interior:

The definition of hard work and progress