Working Elevators!

Author Topic: Working Elevators!  (Read 89385 times)

neat,may i ask, how much of a percentage your done?

yep i been waitthing for this for MOUNTHS  :cookie:

yep i been waitthing for this for MOUNTHS  :cookie:

Mouth months?

Well, I put the finishing touches on the generic explosion I'll be using for vehicles crushed by the Elevator, but I still have a good amount of work to do.

1. I need to make it so the players and vehicles are only crushed if they're pinned.  If they're floating, they should get knocked down a bit.

2. I'll be making it so that vehicles can't ride in Elevators.  Elevators inside the Elevator compartment will explode (just like getting crushed).

3. I have a small issue with brick detection to fix involving bricks in the detection area both above and below the Elevator platform.

4. Make it easier (read: less time-consuming) to make Elevator Doors for Elevators with more floors.

5. Make it so Elevator Doors can only be built within a certain distance of the Elevator platform.

6. Come up with a good way to call an Elevator to a floor when an Elevator Door is not present on that floor.

7. Then I have all the cool stuff to do.
   A. Allowing floors to have names.
   B. Allowing floors to be different heights in the same Elevator.
   C. Create GUIs for selection up / down travel direction (after walking up to an Elevator).
   D. Create logic that handles Elevator floor requests.
   E. Add ability to save and load Elevators / Elevator Doors.

8. Testing, testing, and more testing.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but it seems to be a fairly good list.

2. I'll be making it so that vehicles can't ride in Elevators.

erm, why? i mean in real life you can stick a car on a elevator and it'll ride

ya, this would have been awsome for sniffs aircraft carrier, to store planes under the runway

Vehicles tend to bounce and fall through.

Idea to call elevators: Walk up to the elevator door and it could be rang like doors are.

Also, if you want I could work on floor handling logic.

Edit: I have an idea on how to do it, I'll wip up a simulation to see how well it works.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:03:21 PM by laremere »

Lol, I already know how I'm doing it.  The trick is how to call an Elevator to a floor that has no Elevator Door.  I appreciate the offer, but not many can assist with the actual coding.

Excellent job Trader

Oh ya, and off topic, I love RTS : D

Also, not sure if this has been asked. But, if their is no roof and the elevator is ordered to go higher than it should, does it go out of the building?

Yes
Lol, I already know how I'm doing it.  The trick is how to call an Elevator to a floor that has no Elevator Door.  I appreciate the offer, but not many can assist with the actual coding.
Ok.

And I wasn't talking about actually coding for you, I was just talking about the logic in handling floor requests.

Well, if the Elevator is set to have 10 floors, you can travel no higher than floor 10.  In order to travel higher, the Elevator would have to be edited to allow more floors.

keep up the great work trader i love the elevators on your server!!!  :cookieMonster:

Yes it uses the wrench brick.

Yes, the elevator will actually use enclosed box cars.

Yes you can set floor height and the number of floors (Note: It will assume that each floor of a particular building is the same height.  Floor 2 can't be 10 bricks tall if you set the floor height to 6 bricks tall.)

I'm not sure what I think about different sizes of elevators.  Right now, I'm intending for 8x8, but I make make elevators available for the 4x4 and 6x6 sizes. Obviously the size of the elevator will determine its maximum number of occupants.

Yeah, CNC isn't freaking out in the second video.  I just wanted to show that you can move around freely as you go down.

Yes you can choose which floor to go to.  My goal is to make this function as much like a real elevator as possible.

Stay tuned for updates...

You should also make glass window cars so you can see out like in malls.