Author Topic: Prop Hunt Gamemode  (Read 10048 times)

No, I'm pretty sure creating a datablock wouldn't create any lag. Basically, it's just turning a bunch of data into a reusable resource. The problems start when you try to create/load a datablock to the server and the clients connected don't have the resources to load them properly. Subsequently, those clients crash.
It tends to start ghosting when a lot of people are doing it at a fast schedule. That's why you slow down the schedule to something that is workable, but not for say smooth.

It tends to start ghosting when a lot of people are doing it at a fast schedule. That's why you slow down the schedule to something that is workable, but not for say smooth.
Wait... Are we even talking about the same thing here? I'm saying not use actual bricks, but create a player type using the selecting brick's dts file as the shapefile. I wouldn't be using Blockland's brick functions at all. Unless you're saying that creating those player datablocks would cause clients to ghost.

I thought about doing this a while ago, but I just don't think it would be as fun as gmods prop hunt, without physics

No, I'm pretty sure creating a datablock wouldn't create any lag. Basically, it's just turning a bunch of data into a reusable resource. The problems start when you try to create/load a datablock to the server and the clients connected don't have the resources to load them properly. Subsequently, those clients crash.
Dynamically creating and deleting datablocks wouldn't lag, it's just a bad idea.
If youre talking about static shapes props, this is what id do: If you have a ton of possible props a player could disguise as, I'd try creating a static shape and having it follow the player (I don't think static shapes can be mounted)
If the number of props is fairly small, I would create images using the shapes, hide all the players node, and mount the image to them.

If you use bricks as props, you couldn't have them smoothly follow the player, they would have to snap to the grid.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:21:17 AM by Headcrab Zombie »

If you use bricks as props, you couldn't have them smoothly follow the player, they would have to snap to the grid.
Why not just make a bunch of playertypes in the shape of bricks? Like the duck playertype

Why not just make a bunch of playertypes in the shape of bricks? Like the duck playertype
This...is actually a good idea.

Wait... Are we even talking about the same thing here? I'm saying not use actual bricks, but create a player type using the selecting brick's dts file as the shapefile. I wouldn't be using Blockland's brick functions at all. Unless you're saying that creating those player datablocks would cause clients to ghost.
bricks don't have DTS files unless it is for advanced collision

This is pretty much what blockland's bricks used to be

If players don't snap to the grid, it'll be very obvious that they're not real bricks.

This is pretty much what blockland's bricks used to be
Old BL bricks where static shapes, not playertypes...

bricks don't have DTS files unless it is for advanced collision
I know that, you'd only be able to be special bricks around the map. Just like you can only be certain items in Prop Hunt, and not a single brick from the building.
If players don't snap to the grid, it'll be very obvious that they're not real bricks.
I was planning to implement a snapping feature (if I make this), press a certain key and it snaps you to the grid.

Also, he know's they weren't player types, he meant the old BL bricks were like static shapes, or the duck Mysteroo mentioned. XD

Y u at second page
No
Bad topic

There's always one other option too- to make things a little more difficult to tell who's what, you can make a fakekill of all the bricks you can disguise yourself as which has a duration as long as the round. Then they would be knocked over and lying around, scattered a bit so that it's more difficult to tell which is the brick and which is the player. Otherwise people could probably just memorize the build

Y u at second page
No
Bad topic

There's always one other option too- to make things a little more difficult to tell who's what, you can make a fakekill of all the bricks you can disguise yourself as which has a duration as long as the round. Then they would be knocked over and lying around, scattered a bit so that it's more difficult to tell which is the brick and which is the player. Otherwise people could probably just memorize the build
Two problems with that. One, fake killed bricks can be flipped, therefore obvious that they're not the player. Two, fake killed bricks can be kicked be the player, making it obvious that they couldn't be players. Which, in turn, hint the enemy that there is a player that is that type of brick.

Or you can do it the easy way and spawn a brick where the player is at. Make a playertype that has smaller collision than the brick with the eye location in a good position. And there you go.

Well there are a few options- spawn a brick to the players location, make a brick-looking playertype, something like that. They have their share of problems but I'm sure with some work, one of these ideas could do fine. So is anybody going to try and make it happen?

Well there are a few options- spawn a brick to the players location, make a brick-looking playertype, something like that. They have their share of problems but I'm sure with some work, one of these ideas could do fine. So is anybody going to try and make it happen?
I said I probably will in the future, but right now I am helping with the SCP server, so I have no time at the moment.

I didn't read all of the posts so someone may have covered this already but couldn't you make 3d models of things and place it in the map and then make playertypes of those same models? You could have the models scented (automatically) so that for a certain team when clicked it changed their Playertype.

You can code static shapes to snap,
I know that they bricks were static shapes, I probably misread his post

You could have the models scented (automatically)
wot