Soft shadows

Author Topic: Soft shadows  (Read 86963 times)

Is there no way to "force" blockland to notice the shader folder?
no
correction, yes
by using hacks

"shaders" isn't one of the directories torquescript is allowed to access, only "add-ons", "base", "config", "editor", "saves", "screenshots"

There was a time right when shaders came out that shadows were softer. Right? I have screenshots of it...
Was it removed to optimize them for slower computers?
Only in DOF shots.

why
He's just too proud and self centered to let anyone else have a pretty Blockland.

So I've been working on modifying the shaders to add soft, blurred shadows (configurable).
I would release this, but there are several problems with doing so:

• You cannot replace files in shaders/ from an add-on anymore.
  • If I were to release the modified GLSL file itself,
    • you'd have to replace it and re-apply your shader settings every time you start Blockland.
    • you'd have to edit the file itself and do the above to change any settings for it.

Ideas for a viable way of releasing it would be very much appreciated.
Oh well, have some screenshots.
-snip-

Reasons for holding it back has been highlighted here. He would release had it not been for some changes that rendered custom shaders useless.

you could have some sort of external launcher that after blockland finished launching it wrote some sort of text file to the config directory as a message which the original file took as a cue to replace the shader files, then deleted that "message" file

Reasons for holding it back has been highlighted here. He would release had it not been for some changes that rendered custom shaders useless.
Doesn't matter. There's plenty of things that are similar to that for other games out there. Consider it for "Advanced users only". All it is is following extra instructions.

I want them. I want them so bad, but I don't want my computer to explode.

I want them. I want them so bad, but I don't want my computer to explode.
Steal NASA's computer
You might be able to run them with a little lag with minimal shaders on.

Steal NASA's computer
You might be able to run them with a little lag with minimal shaders on.
No, you won't. Minimum doesn't use shadows.

No, you won't. Minimum doesn't use shadows.
It if you put it into low the computer would explode.

Low would actually look pretty nice, since the reason most games can get away with super low res shadows is because they look fine with some softness.