Author Topic: What happened to VCE?  (Read 8320 times)

but it is that too
everything you can do with events is just a replacement for what would otherwise be an addon :I
Not really. Most (especially default) events just add a high level of interactivity to bricks. There'd be no point to an add-on that recolors all bricks to yellow when you click them for a second, then go back to their original color. Making a mod to specify which bricks exhibit this behavior is rewriting the event system, anyway. Something like this doesn't replace an add-on, yet it adds a nice feature to the game. Even making something like pong doesn't really replace an add-on, it's just modifying brick behaviors. However, writing something like an RPG where it holds variables on player and client objects as well as bricks can be seen as an abuse of this interactivity system that encroaches upon add-on territory in a less efficient, less user friendly, and less effective way.

I personally think that it's up to the user what they want to make and how they want to make it, but I can definitely see the negative impact it's had on the modding atmosphere of this game. I can see why Zack would think his mod is a bad concept.

Why does this thread come up every other day?

why are you so stupid?

why are you so stupid?
Quote from: Badspot
4. Use the Search feature before posting a question.

Yeah, I'm annoyed by the same thread popping up every couple of weeks. ("where is vce?", "why can't i download vce?"). How does this make me stupid?

search button, he searched, read op pls

Not really. Most (especially default) events just add a high level of interactivity to bricks. There'd be no point to an add-on that recolors all bricks to yellow when you click them for a second, then go back to their original color. Making a mod to specify which bricks exhibit this behavior is rewriting the event system, anyway. Something like this doesn't replace an add-on, yet it adds a nice feature to the game.
but VCE is the same way
I don't even use it for RPG sorta stuff, most of the time
like once, I was trying to make semi-realistic traffic lights. I gave up like 3/4 of the way through, because I ended up needing to start over, but still, I got that far. I would have gotten absolutely nowhere trying to script an addon to do that myself (and I'd have no luck getting someone else to do it)

but VCE is the same way
I don't even use it for RPG sorta stuff, most of the time
like once, I was trying to make semi-realistic traffic lights. I gave up like 3/4 of the way through, because I ended up needing to start over, but still, I got that far. I would have gotten absolutely nowhere trying to script an addon to do that myself (and I'd have no luck getting someone else to do it)
You could make traffic lights with default events pretty easily. Relays add a lot of functionality.

You could make traffic lights with default events pretty easily. Relays add a lot of functionality.
afaik there's no way to use relays to determine whether another light is already green or not
but idk, I don't make much use of relays

VCE is still widely used, however it isn't a completely public mod at the moment.

afaik there's no way to use relays to determine whether another light is already green or not
Yes you can.

Made this just for you.

Relay-based traffic lights are easy to make, but I have found those to be unstable.  I have a completely working traffic light system utilising a relay-based FOR loop.  This has proven to be the most effective method for me, especially when elongating times past 30 seconds.

Here is a short clip of them that I made for a project.