Poll

Favorite car origins?

Domestic
119 (16.2%)
Import (Asian)
103 (14%)
European
158 (21.5%)
I don't have a car because I play blockland.
354 (48.2%)

Total Members Voted: 730

Author Topic: Car thread  (Read 847590 times)

it's not even on my 1440x900 monitor

EDIT: nm that's my theme. it's not too bad though.

sounds like limp mode, you got a cel? it could be the tcu (unit, module-- whatever), solenoids, shift sensor, or the wiring harness/fuses/connectors. the fact that it still shifts between 1 and 2 tells me the tcu is still doing what it's supposed to; if it were trashed you'd likely be stuck in a single gear

some cars like the 3000gt will go into limp mode with even the slightest change in the electricals. i had a neighbor put LEDs in his 3000gt and he got stuck in limp mode (third gear only for that car), so if you modified anything like that i'd say try reverting it back. otherwise the second best thing to do imo is just look for blown/loose fuses, bad connections, or fried wires. either that or buy a manual and never worry about limp mode again

idk what cel stands for or is supposed to mean, but nothing on that van has been modified

literally the only thing that isnt stock on it is a steering wheel cover

however, a forgetton of fuses have gone out on it over the years, the automatic doors dont work, and a lot of buttons on the dash just simply dont work anymore

if i could have this van in manual id take it in a heartbeat

looked it up and limp mode on that caravan means reverse, and first through second gear only

check engine light comes on and off, but notably when it starts to need to shift into 3rd, so im preeeettty certain its in limp mode

the only problem now is figuring out why

edit:  the lights been on forever now but when i had to take the battery out to get recharged and put it back in, the light was off untill it got on the road again
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:45:03 PM by shitlord »

get an obd2 scanner, find your van's port, and scan it when the check engine light (cel) is on all the time again. some shops will scan it for you for free. look up the code you get and it might tell you what exactly the problem is or it will just waste your time and tell you you're limping

judging by what you just said about your battery, it may be because of low-running voltage. how long has limp mode been a problem relative to how long you've been recharging your battery regularly? im no pro mechanic but if you've always been recharging it but limp mode has only become an issue recently then you may have a bad alternator

alternator has been replaced in its life time, and its been absent of a 3rd gear for about three years or more

it only needed to go from one side of the town to the other so more than 60 mph wasn't really even possible on those roads, so it didn't matter anyway

its battery failed a test at autozone two times, they said it had trouble holding a charge, and i can tell too, the interior lights flicker slightly when on

but, since the 3rd gear issue has been occurring long before that, when the battery was brand new and working fine, i doubt its that

the battery can get it started every time as long as its charged up, it had just been sitting for so long that the battery eventually died in it

so far i've only had the battery recharged twice, the first time to get it running again and the second time because i stopped starting it regularly and it didn't have enough cranking amps when i tried again

the battery stays charged as long as i start it and run it for a little every day, so the alternator is working okay

Yeah you need some transmission work

If you didn't, your car would actually be shifting

this is a solenoid, tcu, or fuse issue, not a transmission issue

this is like saying you need engine repair when your car wont start because the starter or battery is bad
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:27:07 PM by shitlord »

will this work

https://www.amazon.com/Exdiag-CAN-BUS-OBDII-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005FJ0BRI
any obd2 will work on any car sold in america past 1996 like it says in the item description, but if i were you i'd spend a few extra bucks and get a more durable one. maybe one that ships from an amazon warehouse too-- quicker shipping and free returns that way, so you can just ship it back after using it if you really want lol

dumb post. if the trans itself needed work for the past 3+ years it would not have lasted 3+ years of continued use in the first place

lmao update on my cousin's $500 cadillac: he just posted this on fb, i have yet to ask for the details
"My luck on cars strikes yet again. There goes more of my loving money."
he was bragging how it was a "real man's car" just last week, let's see if he fixes it like a "real man" or replaces it

"According to my dad, the converter is clogged, it needs a new motor mount, and a bunch of other stuff and they are still looking up more prices for other parts. Im like forgeted."
there you have it, he said he's looking at 2.5k to fix it. I suggested he use the money to buy a prelude, integra, etc and he said he'll probably end up getting an eldorado instead
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:42:18 PM by Zloff »

daily inh post where he pretends to know what he's taking about

daily inh post where he pretends to know what he's taking about
this is a solenoid, tcu, or fuse issue, not a transmission issue

this is like saying you need engine repair when your car wont start because the starter or battery is bad
Oh rip
Yeah I'm pretty sure I already know I was wrong by now lol

cel says solenoid pack

its a bitch to get to

kill me

Found out why so many of the electrics of the car are forgeted up

I looked in the car's fuse box in the engine bay (there's 4 of them in there) and each one had at least 2 or more fuses missing, and the rest were either rusty or burnt out

This'll take forever to replace all of the damn fuses