☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)

Poll

What feature are you looking forward to the most in v5?

Ecumbrance System
4 (3.3%)
Item Stacking System
8 (6.7%)
Events (?)
11 (9.2%)
Item Durability / Degradation Over Time
3 (2.5%)
Crafting & Item Forming
25 (20.8%)
Smelting with the Furnace & Crucible
0 (0%)
Vehicle Storage
13 (10.8%)
Display Bricks
2 (1.7%)
Storage Locking & Lock-Picking
7 (5.8%)
Backpacks & Containers
16 (13.3%)
Hybrid Item / Brick Planting
0 (0%)
Shops & Integrated Loot System (?)
5 (4.2%)
Item Modding & Repair (with the Anvil)
3 (2.5%)
Hunger, Thirst & Armor Support
23 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: ☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)  (Read 120605 times)

Bug Report;
items placed in container dont stay in container.
every time you open the GUI it's empty.

Bug Report;
Were you on a server with the mod fully updated?

Could you maybe do something with item transference and backpack labeling?

For instance, when a backpack is dropped, it will continue to hold its contents, and when picked up, those items would be transferred.  Through labeling, the backpack might have a colored tag, as set by the player, relative to the colorset choice, or by saying /ISBackPackname "" while holding a backpack.  ("" referring to the name you give it, and anyone who has a backpack with that name can access that "channel."  For instance, doing this might allow you to cooperatively share a backpack with a group.)  Also, when a backpack is put in a container, can it retain its items?

Naturally when a backpack item fades, it would lose all of its items entirely.

Alright cool can't wait till the next update then. Also forgot to mention this is a great mod :)

Bug Report;
Someone else also reported the same issue on the RTB forums, but I haven't run into it recently; I just tested it too. There used to be an issue with saves in which multiple inventories would be written on the same line, preventing the items from reappearing in the GUI. It should auto-correct itself eventually though. If not, try opening the relative save file and see if the inventory data is messed up at all - if it is, just move the data to separate lines and that should fix it.

If not, I'm thinking the issue might be related to the recent master server issue - perhaps the server didn't receive the command to save the items? Either way, it should auto-correct the issue; if it doesn't though, let me know.

Edit: I just figured out what's causing the issue. If your player name is longer than one word, it'll cause problems with saving and use the second word in your name as the save name. I set up a filter to prevent this from happening, but for some reason it bypasses the filter. For now, if you limit your name to one word or use an underscore instead of a space, it'll resolve the issue. I'll try to fix this soon, sorry about the inconvenience.

Could you maybe do something with item transference and backpack labeling?

For instance, when a backpack is dropped, it will continue to hold its contents, and when picked up, those items would be transferred.  Through labeling, the backpack might have a colored tag, as set by the player, relative to the colorset choice, or by saying /ISBackPackname "" while holding a backpack.  ("" referring to the name you give it, and anyone who has a backpack with that name can access that "channel."  For instance, doing this might allow you to cooperatively share a backpack with a group.)  Also, when a backpack is put in a container, can it retain its items?

Naturally when a backpack item fades, it would lose all of its items entirely.
Sure, that might be possible. The idea of sharing a backpack would be quite interesting, especially for certain gametypes. I'll add it to the list of ideas for version 3.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:35:18 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Wait, why are ISAddItem and ISRemoveItem being removed?

I was thinking about combining them with the ISGUISwapItems event; it would make eventing stores much less complicated. Instead of using two events to check if an item was added by itself or swapped into a brick's inventory, it would automatically detect both; the functionality will still be there.

Well, could it still exist but be independent?  For instance, I have a factory that produces X products every Y units of time.  I want it so that the container receives a new X every Y units of time without withdrawing.  Or if I have the factory that requires XComponent every Y units of time to make X products.  Using Swap with these would make this method impossible without a ridiculous amount of placeholders floating around.

Oh, I meant the input events ISGUIAddItem and ISGUIRemoveItem lol; the output events for adding and transferring items will not be changed.

Oh, well why not keep it.  Like if you put something in a box, it makes a sound of you dropping something in a box.  I mean I think they should stay for customization reasons.

Update: I'll hopefully be releasing version 3 either by tonight or tomorrow; I had to rush it in order to address the player-name issue that came up recently. It'll feature a new output event, 4 VCE variables, and more. Also, version 2 has finally been approve on RTB.

Oh, well why not keep it.  Like if you put something in a box, it makes a sound of you dropping something in a box.  I mean I think they should stay for customization reasons.
I'm open; actually now I'm thinking about removing the onISGUISwapItems event instead of removing onISGUIAddItem and onISGUIRemoveItem. This way, if you add an item into a brick it'll execute on the additem input event, if you remove an item it'll execute the removeitem event, and if you swap an item in/from the brick with another item it'll execute both. Would that work? Having all three just seems redundant.

Question: Would it be possible to support item stacking? Having multiples of one item would make it stack.
Just for items, not for weapons or tools or any other category?

Trying to make a material system, we've run into the problem that materials would eat up way too much inventory space to be useful.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:28:49 PM by Mr.Noßody »

I'm sure it can be done, but it would be far too difficult to achieve anytime soon. In the mean time, you could remotley transfer materials to various chests relative to that material, then access specific materials from chests when you need to craft. Just an idea; I can include an output event to change the inventory being accessed (when transferring items) to automate this if it would help.

I'm sure it can be done, but it would be far too difficult to achieve anytime soon. In the mean time, you could remotley transfer materials to various chests relative to that material, then access specific materials from chests when you need to craft. Just an idea; I can include an output event to change the inventory being accessed (when transferring items) to automate this if it would help.

That would work, but it would require all players to have their own personal "overflow chest" which would be a real hassle to track and maintain.

If it would be too much trouble to get items to stack then Im not going to demand it, bit it would be rather useful.

That would work, but it would require all players to have their own personal "overflow chest" which would be a real hassle to track and maintain.

If it would be too much trouble to get items to stack then Im not going to demand it, bit it would be rather useful.
Okay, and I just remembered that there is already an event to change the brick's name. Here is a link just encase: http://forum.returntoblockland.com/dlm/viewFile.php?id=59

Version 3 has been released! You can download it now or wait for approval. It's also been exactly one year to this day that I first learned how to script.

Change Log:

• Fixed a major issue in which if a player's name was longer than one word, items would be saved using the second word in their name, rather than the designated inventory name. If you had problems loading items in the past, this may have been why.
  • Added an ISUndoTransfer event, which reverts previously selected item(s) back to their prior inventories (very useful for GUI-based stores). It's highly recommended to set a delay of somewhere between 33 to 500 milliseconds for this event (explained in the manual)
  • Added 4 VCE client variables: <var:cl:itemA> <var:cl:itemB> <var:cl:invA> and <var:cl:invB>, which allow you to access the uiNames and inventory names of the previously selected item(s).
  • Removed the onISGUISwapItems input event, and instead added the functionality to the onISGUIAddItem and onISGUIRemoveItem events.
  • Updated the ISBackpack item to now check if you spawn with it (to prevent/allow GUI access; i.e. for minigames).
  • The script that checks if a player has downloaded the Item Storage add-on has been updated. A direct link to the file on RTB has been included in the client message box-notification. It also determines whether or not the player didn't download the add-on or if they just have an outdated version, and sends them a message relative to that criteria.
  • Players are now notified through chat once they join that the server requires version 3 of this add-on, and gives them a direct link to download the file on RTB just encase. It also provides an empty line between the add-on's message and the custom server-join message.
  • Updated manual and included misc. fixes/improvements.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:47:09 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

So that's why it wouldn't work when I tried to save items! Thanks!

I know that you have a lot coming at you in this thread, but I'd like to throw out a mod idea that would work pretty well with this.