☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)

Poll

What feature are you looking forward to the most in v5?

Ecumbrance System
4 (3.3%)
Item Stacking System
8 (6.7%)
Events (?)
11 (9.2%)
Item Durability / Degradation Over Time
3 (2.5%)
Crafting & Item Forming
25 (20.8%)
Smelting with the Furnace & Crucible
0 (0%)
Vehicle Storage
13 (10.8%)
Display Bricks
2 (1.7%)
Storage Locking & Lock-Picking
7 (5.8%)
Backpacks & Containers
16 (13.3%)
Hybrid Item / Brick Planting
0 (0%)
Shops & Integrated Loot System (?)
5 (4.2%)
Item Modding & Repair (with the Anvil)
3 (2.5%)
Hunger, Thirst & Armor Support
23 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: ☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)  (Read 120078 times)

What do you mean by blacklist?  Players can't use the inventory GUI for a set amount of time?

Yeah, basically; if a player keeps spamming commands to the server, they are automatically added to the blacklist GUI and can't use events, access the brick or backpack GUIs, can't list saves, etc. for a certain amount of time (pic below - bottom-right).

It's going to be somewhat complex to make it work on dedicated servers, so I don't want to include it in the next update unless it's a highly-used feature.

Found a bug: If items that are "mountable" on the player when the item is put away (typically on the player's back) are then stored into an IS brick, then the visibly mounted object remains.

Notice the pickaxe remaining on my back even though it is not in my inventory.

Awesome mod
 :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookieMonster:
Thanks, btw welcome to the forums. :)

Found a bug: If items that are "mountable" on the player when the item is put away (typically on the player's back) are then stored into an IS brick, then the visibly mounted object remains.

-pic-
Notice the pickaxe remaining on my back even though it is not in my inventory.
Thanks for letting me know; I'll address the issue for the next update.

Bump/Christmas Update: Progress is being made with version 4! Item-stacking has now been applied to the backpack, and the encumbrance system is working to some extent. If encumbrance is enabled by the host, an item's weight will be displayed when the item is highlighted (shown in one of the screenshots below). When moving items to your backpack or player inventory, the amount of items stacked affects the weight transferred.

Also, another brick-inventory size has been added (able to hold 32 items - twice as much as the Large inventory), and new GUIs and host-options have been included, including toggling encumbrance, max player weight and the weight unit/symbol, and options to clear a backpack's inventory on player death and/or respawn. The save managers now organize save-information into columns, making them much easier to read; I'm planning on increasing player/file quotas, depending on how it will affect the server. IS Events will be updated as well, possibly including new events and greater VCE support; I took the poll above into consideration on what to include in v4.

If all goes well, the update should be done by New Years Day.

PTG: (The actual topic is too old to bump, so I'll post this here) I've also been developing a new fractal algorithm for the Procedural Terrain Generator (screenshots below). The new algorithm is highly efficient and uses vastly improved terrain-smoothing, random number generation and seed-utilization. You should no longer have the "mirroring" issue that requires terrain to be offset. If I can get infinite terrain generator to work, the new algorithm should work just fine for it.

For the next PTG update, I'm planning to include new, much easier to use GUIs, preset-saving/loading (so you can share settings with others), support for various bricks and brick-sizes, a vertical section-cut preview, and more! I'll also try to use oct-trees to combine bricks to help reduce the brick-count.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:34:51 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

That looks awesome!  Super excited!

Also, those vehicles all have broken links.  Can you fix them, please?

Ghost, did/are you going to fix the issue where if an item doesn't have an icon (and uses a letter instead) it can't be used with either storage options?

If not, please do, it's kind of annyoing :/

Wow, where the hell was I?

Hell yeah! Item stacking.
Thanks GSF!

Nobody, I've been working on an alternate resource mod with T+T-like systems to be stored in bags.  I'll send it to you for testing.

ptg seems to always make a map that's symmetrical along a diagonal line.

how can i make it not do this

That looks awesome!  Super excited!

Also, those vehicles all have broken links.  Can you fix them, please?
I moved the files to prevent downloading because they need to be updated (the topic was linked just for nostalgia's sake). If you really want them though I can send you them via PM.

Ghost, did/are you going to fix the issue where if an item doesn't have an icon (and uses a letter instead) it can't be used with either storage options?

If not, please do, it's kind of annyoing :/
Sure, I can fix it; I didn't know about that issue. The items don't appear at all or or do you mean the icons just default to the question mark? If they don't appear at all, please let me know which items you were using; I tried using the Pipe Bomb (which doesn't have an icon), but it seems to still work.

ptg seems to always make a map that's symmetrical along a diagonal line.

how can i make it not do this
The only way to fix that for now is to offset the terrain on the x or y axis when entering the starting / end positions. The next update, however, will use a better algorithm which should fix that issue.

Wow, where the hell was I?

Hell yeah! Item stacking.
Thanks GSF!
No problem. :)

Edit:
I'm thinking about saving backpack inventories as methods for specific backpack items, instead of just using one save per player. I'm not sure exactly how saving the inventories would work (since the methods would be cleared once the game session is over), but this would keep the inventories relative to the specific item.

Inventories would also be cleared if a backpack is removed from the game, and other players will be able to see/access the items in other player's backpacks. Let me know what y'all think; I could definitely use feedback on this.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:13:33 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Minor bump, is there a way to have one storage brick serve each player as their own individual inventory? I want to set up a shop system so that players can send items straight to storage, but the entire idea of giving them storage goes beyond wonkiness unless it can be one centralized brick for everyone. (Think along the lines of Netherchests in Minecraft)

Minor bump, is there a way to have one storage brick serve each player as their own individual inventory? I want to set up a shop system so that players can send items straight to storage, but the entire idea of giving them storage goes beyond wonkiness unless it can be one centralized brick for everyone. (Think along the lines of Netherchests in Minecraft)
You mean like opening certain inventories relative to each player? Sure, that should be possible by changing the brick's name to the player's name when accessed. The setBrickName event doesn't support VCE, but I'll include an event for this in v4. In the mean time, you could use the backpack inventory and disable the item requirement, if that would help.

IS Update: Item-Stacking and Encumbrance are basically done. If y'all have ideas for any new VCE vars or events please let me know. I'm also planning to include the following in v4:

-Improvement to the remote access system (it'll now reference a brick's position, instead of it's ID, so you don't have to keep updating the source brick if used).
-Removal of event restrictions (players who don't want to download the add-on for themselves will still be able to store items and use other add-on features through events - it'll also adapt to use default message boxes instead of the custom ones; the restriction to use the inventory GUIs will remain though).
-Many suggested additions/fixes (removal of the item on a player's back if transferred, clearing a backpack's inventory on player death/respawn, VCE vars for accessing item stack/weight values, new Events, option for automatically backing up save files (encase the server crashes while writing a save file), increase in quota-limits, added server-sided transfer security, in-game manual, auto-updating of the player's inventory window if items are picked up or dropped while open, support for items without preview-icons (and possibly invalid icons), application of the download-restriction script to the backpack, and more!

PTG Update: Infinite terrain generation is now working! Chunks are now built and removed relative the the set area around the player (pictured below). I'm going to eventually set it up to work with multiple players, as well as to save chunks in .bls format (to avoid going over the brick limit; player-bricks will also be handled in the chunks, so you'll be able to build as much as you want and hardly ever have to worry about the brick limit again).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:19:45 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

You mean like opening certain inventories relative to each player? Sure, that should be possible by changing the brick's name to the player's name when accessed. The setBrickName event doesn't support VCE, but I'll include an event for this in v4. In the mean time, you could use the backpack inventory and disable the item requirement, if that would help.
That's a super clever way, I'll have to see if I can work something out around that idea for now.