Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 440987 times)

Also, since we're talking about game engines, here's mine:
https://github.com/Memory-Melt/VoltEngine
did you make that all by yourself? i like it. looks well maintained

maybe that logic applies to others but it doesnt to people like me. i feel like making the engine lets you fully know whats going on behind the scenes of the game. allowing you to push the engine to the limits, add or remove things and optimize the game well.
Making an actual game also teaches you this.

yeah its a lot of work and time being put into it but it pays off more than it would if you used someone elses engine.
Pays off how? Do you feel as though the more time you spend on something, the better it'll be? In some cases, especially when using someone's framework that they made just for people like you it'll actually speed up the process, and decrease time spent both prototyping and producing the final product. Despite what you may or may not believe, nobody gives you any extra rewards from coding everything yourself.

no more needing to cry for bug fixes or cry that no documentation exists on something or that the engine is missing something or bloated or the worst one PAY for licenses to sell or make the game.
This will happen literally regardless of what you're using or how you're using it.

Also, to those reading, I don't want to come off as an abrasive starfish, I just have a strong affinity for the creation of games over the creation of engines. And for the record, yes, I do understand how difficult it is to actually finish a goddamn game. It's hella difficult. In my eyes, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:46:35 AM by Kingdaro »

-snip-
Did you maybe ever think about that people WANT to make game engines and not games?
YOU wouldn't be able to make games so easily if others didn't make game engines for you.
Some people might want to make games, others may want to make the platforms for those people to make games ON.

You're REALLY coming off as an
abrasive starfish
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:09:15 PM by ZSNO »

WTF?
You probably meant to link here: https://www.unrealengine.com/
I don't think so. pretty sure he was linking free ones

I don't think so. pretty sure he was linking free ones
UDK is garbage compared to UE4. And that costs only $19. If you don't have even a tiny ammount of money to invest, maybe game dev isn't for you...

i scrolled past this a few times thinking it was an ad
well played

And that costs only $19.
every month (unless you don't want updates)

Messing around in Unity.

Doing the UV map via script and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong there.

Messing around in Unity.

Doing the UV map via script and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong there.

Looks cool, make sure to keep it somewhere when you fix it for a cool effect.

I don't want to come off as an abrasive starfish, I just have a strong affinity for the creation of games over the creation of engines.
youre not. i just have a strong affinity for the creation of engines over the creations of games.

Did you maybe ever think about that people WANT to make game engines and not games?
And that's the issue I'm trying to address. People shouldn't want to make game engines because there are already plenty.

YOU wouldn't be able to make games so easily if others didn't make game engines for you.
And they already have.

Some people might want to make games, others may want to make the platforms for those people to make games ON.
And, again, they already have.

You're REALLY coming off as an
I apologize then.

I was actually going to make this joke myself, thank you, Psarius.

WTF?
You probably meant to link here: https://www.unrealengine.com/
Wasn't the point of my post, but alright.

youre not. i just have a strong affinity for the creation of engines over the creations of games.
And I simply wish this were not the case for many people. There's a very, very high chance that any engine you guys make will just chill in a github repository, collect dust and never see the light of day.

I'm not saying I own the thread or anything, but I seriously don't want to have an "Engine Design Megathread". This is a place to discuss games and the creation of them, not engines that may or may not become games. Hell, someone a while back posted in this thread wondering if they had to actually write any code to be able to contribute to the discussion. That tells me that the thread is too tech-centric and not game-centric at all. I'm not saying we should abolish prototypes or anything like that, but just keep in mind what game design truly is. In my mind, even board games and table-top roleplaying games would have a place here.

I probably won't make very much sense with my rambling here, but I just love seeing people being creative and exploring their ideas, regardless of how 'good' they are. I love to see people creating tangible, playable products. But when everyone is making an engine, nobody is making a game. That would be an abhorrent world to live in.

what if making those engines is to just benefit me. hand them in as part of a resume for a programming job(doesnt have to be game dev). i think it would work much more than putting down a game made in unity or something.