Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 440908 times)

The best course of action would be to try and implement it yourself and then use the library anyway or at least read the library source. The library will likely employ the necessary knowledge as best as possible, but you can still make the effort to learn how it all works

I've written 3 voxel engines, 4 2D Game Engines, 2 in pygame, 1 in C++/SDL, and 1 in C++/OpenGL.

I've written 3 voxel engines, 4 2D Game Engines, 2 in pygame, 1 in C++/SDL, and 1 in C++/OpenGL.
Cool, now give some advice instead of just bragging.

I asked a while ago if UDK or Unity would be better based on the knowledge I had
but what about, like, which one would be better in general? like, which one is more capable or flexible or any of that stuff?

I asked a while ago if UDK or Unity would be better based on the knowledge I had
but what about, like, which one would be better in general? like, which one is more capable or flexible or any of that stuff?
UDK runs A LOT better than Unity for sure.
I'm not completely sure but I think Unity is more newbie friendly than UDK.

I don't really care about newbie friendliness. I can learn anything I need to learn. I just don't want to run into a situation where it's limited to the point where learning wouldn't really help
also idk what games engines really are, exactly, I guess? so if there isn't a possibility of limitations like that then that's why I didn't know

UDK runs A LOT better than Unity for sure.
I'm not completely sure but I think Unity is more newbie friendly than UDK.
It depends on the kind of game you're making. A bajillion objects onscreen will lag in any engine / framework.

It depends on the kind of game you're making. A bajillion objects onscreen will lag in any engine / framework.
This. When I was working with dynamic lights in UDK, the engine nearly commited Self Delete over it, whereas Unity has never really had the same problem for me. Obviously, Unreal 4 is way better at handing dynamic lighting now, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could still make it suck a chode if you can't do your own optimisations.

^^^

My friend and I made a game which he optimized the heck out of it, made in Unity. He actually modified the engine itself, too. If you have access to and can change the core engine, you can do more that just what the engine ships with. I was even bugging him to do a shadow renderer until the added default shadows in an update.

^^^

My friend and I made a game which he optimized the heck out of it, made in Unity. He actually modified the engine itself, too. If you have access to and can change the core engine, you can do more that just what the engine ships with. I was even bugging him to do a shadow renderer until the added default shadows in an update.
how does the modification of the engine actually work? unity itself is the engine. as far as i know its not open source either

also idk what games engines really are, exactly, I guess?
They're essentially like the engine of the car. They run everything under the hood, and handle all your basic code. You can always change the car's shell (the graphics), the cd player and the electronics (the scripting), the fuel (inputs) etc, but the very core of the car remains the same.

Another way to think of it; a processor and a car engine can be placed in many different cars, but a computer motherboard or a certain model of car is designed to fit a specific CPU/Engine. So, you really need to study what each engine offers to be able to get the most out of it.

Alright advice for making a game engine. Make it object oriented, plan out what features then execute, make it's features modular, and make all calls to the rendering engine (SDL/OpenGL) in their own functions so that people if necessary can take them out and put different ones in.

Alright advice for making a game engine. Make it object oriented, plan out what features then execute, make it's features modular, and make all calls to the rendering engine (SDL/OpenGL) in their own functions so that people if necessary can take them out and put different ones in.

Alright, advice for getting rich. Invest and make connections with the right people.

But why would you ever listen to me, i'm not rich.. See what i did there?

Alright, advice for getting rich. Invest and make connections with the right people.
But why would you ever listen to me, i'm not rich.. See what i did there?
I think I understand the point you're trying to make but I don't think it works out
since he has made game engines before

I think I understand the point you're trying to make but I don't think it works out
since he has made game engines before
so far all i see is claims of those engines existing. i dont see any coding. no explanation of what these engines can do either

i can make a directx project to render a cube. i can call that my engine. took me like 5 minutes.