Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 440133 times)

I finally got shadow maps working in my game engine :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7j0r84JhFc
are you making a custom engine just to make a ball roll game with it?

are you making a custom engine just to make a ball roll game with it?
I'm making a custom engine to learn OpenGL and other things like Bullet, but the end result should be some ball roll game.

Has anyone tried out working with open source engines like the Doom 3 engine or Tesseract?

Can't work on this anymore because apparently my current version of gamemaker only allowed 20 sprites ffs

Can't work on this anymore because apparently my current version of gamemaker only allowed 20 sprites ffs
wow... wat a buttache... :[

There are ways around that.

Ways that I'm currently employing.

Has anyone tried out working with open source engines like the Doom 3 engine or Tesseract?
has anyone tried to make a game engine from scratch?

i feel like doing so but cant decide where to start. ive been reading on whether going with directx or opengl for the past month and so far im super annoyed with the lack of directx documentation as opposed to opengl. but then again directx contains a bunch of apis and opengl doesnt. that means i gotta mix other libraries into the equation if im going with opengl. its going to be such a cluster forget to get the setup working

i've worked on a cople engines with brian smith
we made a voxel engine and one in pygame

on my own i haven't done much past a simple console-based engine

Now that I have a better computer, I'm tempted to experiment more with the Blender Game Engine.

i feel like doing so but cant decide where to start. ive been reading on whether going with directx or opengl for the past month and so far im super annoyed with the lack of directx documentation as opposed to opengl. but then again directx contains a bunch of apis and opengl doesnt. that means i gotta mix other libraries into the equation if im going with opengl. its going to be such a cluster forget to get the setup working
I'm making my own game engine right now using OpenGL. I'd say use OpenGL. You may need to get a few libraries to make things easier, but the amount of content out there for OpenGL is amazing.

yeah ill probably go with opengl. ill be scouting for other libraries for audio and controller input but ill attempt them on my own first.

anyone else suffer from some sort of external library phobia?
idk why i feel weird with adding libraries to my programs. i know "dont reinvent the wheel" but i feel like i dont accomplish anything with adding other peoples work to my work. before i was doing mp3 decoding and playback and i wanted to go low level but everywhere i looked for help people kept saying "dont bother just use a library like bass" or whatnot. same goes for other libraries. yeah they might be maintained by a team of professional programmers and might be more better but it feels like im letting them program for me and it turns me off

^

yes that's me :(

king showed me HUMP for love2d, and even though it seems to contain a lot of good things made professionally, i still didn't want to use it for some reason, wanted to code everything from scratch

yeah ill probably go with opengl. ill be scouting for other libraries for audio and controller input but ill attempt them on my own first.

anyone else suffer from some sort of external library phobia?
idk why i feel weird with adding libraries to my programs. i know "dont reinvent the wheel" but i feel like i dont accomplish anything with adding other peoples work to my work. before i was doing mp3 decoding and playback and i wanted to go low level but everywhere i looked for help people kept saying "dont bother just use a library like bass" or whatnot. same goes for other libraries. yeah they might be maintained by a team of professional programmers and might be more better but it feels like im letting them program for me and it turns me off
OpenAL for audio seems to used a lot. I think GLFW supports controllers, not sure.
External libraries are the bomb if you don't want to "learn" every little thing. ("learn" because you probably won't remember everything)
If you REALLY want to know how to do a specific thing, sure go figure it out instead of a library, but not using any libraries is probably not going to work out. At all.