Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433046 times)

Alright, I'm figuring out how to collision.

Setting things ontop of eachother is bad though.

Did you use radius collision? I can only imagine that'd be the easiest way for circles. How would you do it for non-circle shapes though? What about complex shapes?

either way i made some progress on this run n' gun arcade game i've been working on

still a few things that definitely need to be tweaked with, but yeah
wow this is adorable

Did you use radius collision? I can only imagine that'd be the easiest way for circles. How would you do it for non-circle shapes though? What about complex shapes?

Right now I just have box collision set up. I'd add radius collision if I could figure out how to make them properly collide without merging together.

looks good! i would play it, despite me not being such a big fan of RTS games
either way i made some progress on this run n' gun arcade game i've been working on

still a few things that definitely need to be tweaked with, but yeah

That cannon could use some work lol

actually yes a lot of the art was rushed because i had to focus more on the gameplay especially if you consider the fact that i have barely any knowledge on designing a metal slug-esque game

which is why i've been playing a lot of it lately

It looks like the wand from super mario 3

how to make awesome games :<

It looks like the wand from super mario 3

I was talking about the artillery but I see what you mean lol

how to make awesome games :<
Step 1. Boot up gamemaker
Step 2. Create a sprite
Step 3. Make the rest of the loving game

except you need to know exactly what you're doing

Add me on steam steve
Also I know what's causing the microjittering at the bottom, just haven't fixed it yet

anyone in need of sprites

So, a couple weeks ago I made a really stuffty game, completely from scratch using my knowledge of C. It's terrible, but I'm actually kinda of proud how I managed to accomplish SOMETHING with my bare-bones programming code.

It's basically a "Dodge this" game, but you can also shoot as a last resort. Unfortunately, collision detection is HORRIBLE.

The reason? It's the same reason for the bottom half of the screen flashing; the command prompt prints characters sequentially, so characters at the top will stay the longest, while the ones at the bottom have the least time on screen. This setup also means that the bullet and lines can "skip over" each other. It's annoying, but a true fix would require me writing an entirely new screen refresh system.

Anyways, I had fun with it.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vecsqn1dlslqu7o/cmdlength_4.exe
Sauce: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnjozz0zw492edt/cmdlength_4.c

If you guys could give some advice, that would be great. In future, I'd like to start using classes for my enemies (I got schooled in how to make classes in C), but the whole screen refresh thing has me puzzled.