Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 441312 times)

Unity doesn't sync physics over network, This is the worst day.

Pretty sure does, you have done something to mess it up or somethin'.

Step 4 is the only really confusing part IMO
the rest is simpler

I tried something like this over websockets in the past before. I suck at prediction.

felt like mucking around with games again so i thought id try my hand at some pixel art/animation. i've got a rough idea of what i'm after - a generic platformer where you shoot baddies, but with emphasis on art and visual design - wacky characters and over-the-top worlds - involving, of course, fun and interesting level-based gameplay mechanics. basically; i'm making it up as i go along.

so here's a silly character design i drafted up as a sort of concept idea

i don't think it turned out too bad. there's some weird stuff going on with the legs since they're the only part mostly redrawn per frame, and i completely forgot to fix up the black bolt things on his torso, but it's just a rushed proof-of-concept so what can ya do.

if anyone's interested in the process, I just basically drew a very rough concept image, changed levels to increase the value range, set the mode to indexed colour (I think it was 16 colours), and then scaled it down with nearest-neighbor sampling. from there it was a matter of going over the entire thing by hand to get that true pixel-art look, and animating.

pretty effective if you have a decent drawing done as a base. i'm not sure how much more efficient a method this is than simply doing it all at the pixel level from scratch or simply starting off from a drawing as opposed to a rendered piece. you can also do the same thing from renders of 3D models if you adjust some render settings in your program to fit - the cleanup afterwards is much less work from what I've seen.

still, pixel art starts to get really really time consuming the larger you go. This probably took me like 3 hours of work or something, for what's practically one still full-character frame - and a pretty rough one at that. i'll get better at it as i practice, but still. doing the same thing 14 more times to get a run cycle...

... is probably gonna take like two weeks if i'm just doing this in my spare time, maybe less since you can basically do half a run cycle and just make simple edits for the other half. bottom line is, it takes loooong.

can't really rig up a 3d model instead either, the animation just wouldn't be the same. so that's why i'd really like to get a super solid character design down before i start making assets. something that i feel happy with and will also be a relative breeze to animate and draw. right now this robot guy just looks like a cross of bender, larry from time squad, and some general doug tenNapel-inspired design elements. which i suppose isn't a bad range of sources to derive from, but still feels a bit bland. plus, you got those rigid, geometrical robot forms. organic stuff is just easier to draw, and especially animate, for me atleast. oh and he needs a gun.

anyway, i guess i'll get to that. i'll see if i can post any updates if i ever get to a point where i have some nice stuff actually in game. this is really a post about art / asset creation then. if anyone's got stuff to say about character design or just pixel art stuff in general, do share!

my god that's glorious

I happen to have a Unity Pro key which I do not need(for like 1-2 years now), if anyone knows his way around Unity PM me to retrieve the key.

I happen to have a Unity Pro key which I do not need(for like 1-2 years now), if anyone knows his way around Unity PM me to retrieve the key.

Quote from: http://unity3d.com/legal/eula
Unity grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license

You'll just get the license disabled.

That thing is loving awesome dude, keep on it.

How many other characters are you thinking of doing?

It looks like a mugen fighter!

Unity 4.6 gui is very awesome btw.

tophius that is fantastic

hey thanks guys! i feel kinda guilty for not even posting any actual functional game stuff like everyone else but i really wanted to share what i've been working on. not sure about other characters aside from the protag (starting to come to a decision on his redisign),  everyone else will most likely be enemies. still trying to flesh out some basic concepts so i can move on to implementation but i'm trying not to go too far in either direction seeing as this is just a little personal project and more of a learning process, so anything could change.

hypothetically if I was gonna make a little game, and my only real scripting experience was JavaScript, would it be better to go with the UDK or Unity?

Unity uses JavaScript, and I don't think UDK does, so I'd go with Unity.

Unity uses JavaScript, and I don't think UDK does, so I'd go with Unity.
is using JavaScript to do stuff with a game easier than it is to mess with the DOM? cus that stuff is frustrating