Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 436488 times)

Thanks, but I was hoping it could be someone from here
You'll get all help you need in these 2 boards:

Unity scripting forum
Unity community support

yowza wait what unity 4.3 came out just a week ago what
and apparently its 2D game development tools are new??
hmmmmmm???

yowza wait what unity 4.3 came out just a week ago what
and apparently its 2D game development tools are new??
hmmmmmm???
Yup, plus (some) realtime shadows and mobile development are now free.

Unity has built in 2D tools! Yes!

ooh, i might want to try out unity now :D

and yet again, i'm presented with one of the many disadvantages of using Linux
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:43:46 PM by PurpleMetro »

ooh, i might want to try out unity now :D

and yet again, i'm presented with one of the many disadvantages of using Linux

it's always confused me why anyone would make the conscious decision to run an operating system that has no compatibility with anything

it's always confused me why anyone would make the conscious decision to run an operating system that has no compatibility with anything
1: It's often faster.
2: It's often lighter weight.
3: Almost everything is open source.
4: Linux is good for many types of open source development.
5: Wine.
6: There are plenty of things Linux can do that no other OS can.
7: It's quickly becoming more popular - if nobody supports it, it will fail.
8: It's open source itself.
9: Highly customizeable.
10: Free (usually).

The list could go on, but I feel this explains it pretty well.

1: It's often faster.
2: It's often lighter weight.
3: Almost everything is open source.
4: Linux is good for many types of open source development.
5: Wine.
6: There are plenty of things Linux can do that no other OS can.
7: It's quickly becoming more popular - if nobody supports it, it will fail.
8: It's open source itself.
9: Highly customizeable.
10: Free (usually).

The list could go on, but I feel this explains it pretty well.

1. Debatable
2. irrelevent
3. Sure.
4. Uh. If you enjoy being on an os that nobody gets go ahead
5. Irrelevent
6. The list should elaborate on this.
7. Popular is what java is. This is not java.
8. Sometimes having things prepackaged is better. Not everyone is a software engineer.
9. So is every os
10. Did you buy a windows computer and install linux on it? by that logic, windows is free too.

i don't believe khorde was saying there was nothing good about using linux, just that he was pointing out one specific negative about it.

okay, dumb question, but i haven't had much time to look into unity other than downloading it; the website says it exports to a whole lot of mobile stuff but after two or three glances i don't ever recall it saying it exports windows or mac stuff (but specifically i'm talking about both), because i have a friend who uses a mac whom i'd much like to have test stuff i make, but i use a windows.

can you make something, export it as either a windows or a mac program, and then give it to whoever and it'll run the same way?

okay, dumb question, but i haven't had much time to look into unity other than downloading it; the website says it exports to a whole lot of mobile stuff but after two or three glances i don't ever recall it saying it exports windows or mac stuff (but specifically i'm talking about both), because i have a friend who uses a mac whom i'd much like to have test stuff i make, but i use a windows.

can you make something, export it as either a windows or a mac program, and then give it to whoever and it'll run the same way?
I dunno if Mac can export for Windows, but Windows can certainly export for Windows (duh), Mac, Linux, and all the other platforms Unity supports (Android, iOS, webplayer, etc).

The unity editor is available for windows and mac, both editors can export for windows, mac and linux (unless you want mobile platforms too). There's no linux editor however.

You may have to have a Mac to export to iOS - not 100% sure, though. But other than that, both platforms have equal build capabilities.

You may have to have a Mac to export to iOS - not 100% sure, though. But other than that, both platforms have equal build capabilities.
You can export to ios on windows, but you will need a mac with xcode installed to build and publish the project.

I made an animated GIF of the Southwards walking animation of the character in my game:

This is a little fast, but Photoshop hates me so I can't fix it. The stiffness is partially the game's style, partially because I need to add a bit of bobbing to the pants, and partially because the increased speed makes it really noticeable. Colors are also off because it's a GIF

Also, I don't know about you guys, but all I want is a list of C++ functions, but there don't seem to be any.