Author Topic: 2013/12/01 - Blockland r1908  (Read 59076 times)

just let us load a build as 1 big static object, that would prolly increase the brick limit too

just let us load a build as 1 big static object, that would prolly increase the brick limit too
complex collision = borked, your loads would also be exponentially longer
removing bricks would require dis-assembling that object

well i mean, load a build as a static object (option next to public) and pick a color for it. The bricks you load are the same SHAPE and have simplified collisions as the build but all one color. you oviously couldnt edit stuff loaded as a static object

well i mean, load a build as a static object (option next to public) and pick a color for it. The bricks you load are the same SHAPE and have simplified collisions as the build but all one color. you oviously couldnt edit stuff loaded as a static object
So it would be a single colour, have no textures, and not be editable? Probably wouldn't work out.

im not to happy with this update. we need another Christmas special with a Santa hat into the default player model or something

im not to happy with this update. we need another Christmas special with a Santa hat into the default player model or something
another?

The problem with that is that with a really huge build like, say, Seattle, it's better for it to be separate blocks, since you can lower the draw distance and not have to render all the faces at once.  With it being one block, all those faces would have to be loaded, regardless of how far your draw distance is set.

TL;DR: Huge builds would cripple all but the top few systems playing Blockland.

I've had plenty of thoughts on this. What would be neat is if we could select a bunch of bricks, then merge them into an assembly. From there, you could send them to clients and have the clients save them as if they downloaded a model, or a terrain file from v20 or earlier. Then next time they join you could just tell them to reload the same file from last time and bam, you've sent them most of the map (sans interactive stuff and bricks with emitters and items and such) in about the same time it'd take to send them one brick. You could also have smaller assemblies, like those detailed trees people like to build with tons of bricks for leaves. Would be much easier to make a forest out of trees like that without dragging up the brick count when you only have to send them all the details on one tree, then tell the client to basically copy-paste that into a bunch of other places. Who knows, a system like this may even be a good starting point for brick vehicles and such.

I think we should get the transparent bricks fixed.

I think we should get the transparent bricks fixed.
what do you mean by "fixed" ?

The rendering issues they have with shaders. Can't see transparent bricks through other transparent bricks, some brick effects just break entirely, etc.

can't see explosions through clear bricks either

another?
yes, a few years ago we got a christmas update that included a christmas tree.

yes, a few years ago we got a christmas update that included a christmas tree.
i remember that
it was one year ago, and i dont think we ever had a christmas hat one

i remember that
it was one year ago, and i dont think we ever had a christmas hat one
no we didn't have a Christmas hat last year. i didn't mean to insinuate that the hat was done before, but that a Christmas update had been done before.