Poll

[holder poll, doesn't count for anything] Pick a favorite website

Drunk Ron Swanson
This is Why I'm Broke

Author Topic: CityMod  (Read 22005 times)

To get back on topic; Am I the only one that's slightly annoied how possibly the best CityRP mod ever made for blockland is going to be private?

I also don't get the point of making a modification discussion topic for something that won't ever be given to the public; It gets users hyped about being able to make a server for it and then it gets shot down.

It's like taking a toddler to a toy store but telling them they can't have any of the toys; only play with them in the toy store.

I also don't get the point of making a modification discussion topic for something that won't ever be given to the public; It gets users hyped about being able to make a server for it and then it gets shot down.

It's like taking a toddler to a toy store but telling them they can't have any of the toys; only play with them in the toy store.

Look at iban's City RPG, modified or otherwise.
The mod would be perfectly fine.
But after so many REAAAALLY stuffty servers, a lot of people dislike it.

Keeping the mod private means all the hype goes to one place. What COULD happen is that when we're done hosting CityMOD, Vaux and Bran release the file simply because we would've gotten our kicks out of it. That could be a month after hosting, all the way to 2015.

side note to Vaux, "CityMOD" looks cooler than "CityMod" imo

I mean if it upsets you all we can close the general discussion topic and then truly keep the mod quiet and private.

Also, going out on a limb here: you can't take Blockland's source code for your own game, so you should be fine with not needing your own copy of CityMOD

General question and I might make a poll on this later:
How many City RPGs have you been on that were actually good builds. Real terrain, legitimate buildings, zones, etc. Cause for every 10, I see 2 or 3.

Regardless of popular opinion on the forums Iban's mod has been immortalized. Some people still like it, many many newbies play it.

Side note to Vaux and Adin "CityMod" regardless of capital letters is a gay name

There are still a few good CityRPGs uot there, people like myself just refuse to look unless are told to.

General question and I might make a poll on this later:
How many City RPGs have you been on that were actually good builds. Real terrain, legitimate buildings, zones, etc. Cause for every 10, I see 2 or 3.
Im actually pretty disappointed in those that are considered "good" too. nobody knows how to build a city.

Also, going out on a limb here: you can't take Blockland's source code for your own game, so you should be fine with not needing your own copy of CityMOD
The source code isn't what I was worried about; If mods were in fact compiled, that wouldn't be more of a reason to release it to the public. Sure we don't have access to the source code of blockland, but we can still play it.
I see what you're saying with 'all the hype goes in one place' but it's fairly pointless; I can see hosting an official CityMod server, but I see no harm in releasing the mod to others so that they can host their own. If you're truly worried about the hype of the mod dissipating because of releasing it then is it really a good mod?

Look at iban's City RPG, modified or otherwise.
The mod would be perfectly fine.
But after so many REAAAALLY stuffty servers, a lot of people dislike it.
You're looking at that the wrong way; People don't dislike the mod because of the servers, they dislike the servers running the mod because of the stuffty builds. That's like saying you don't like the game bowling because there's a bowling alley in the ghetto. That makes no sense.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:21:47 AM by Evar678 »

I think it's neither of that. All the City RPGs that people can get their hands on are all the same. It just has been a while with something different with big changes going around. People try to add drugs or something, but that still doesn't cut it.

What should be released is a completely solid base of the mod, which you won't have for awhile. This would be similar to the different CityRP mods but if you know how to code you make it easy for people to add there own stuff which will only aid in your development of the mod as well.

Personally, I've always been fine just making VCE powered stuff. Little bit of RP, little bit of eventing (a lot of eventing actually) and a little elbow grease. I've made more RPGs than I can count

and Thorfin will tell you I've failed to host every single one of them but he's not important

That's like saying you don't like the game bowling because there's a bowling alley in the ghetto. That makes no sense.

No, I'd hate that bowling alley with a passion. I'd go to the one near the church in the white district of town.

and Thorfin will tell you I've failed to host every single one of them but he's not important and he is the most important human male in my life.

Yeah I can confirm.

When a gamemode is released and a ton of stuffty servers pop up running the mod, it gives the mod a bad name.

I am all for CityMod being private, it allows at most, just a few good servers to pop up that really know how to run the gamemode, and can actually survive for much much longer.

When a gamemode is released and a ton of stuffty servers pop up running the mod, it gives the mod a bad name.

I am all for CityMod being private, it allows at most, just a few good servers to pop up that really know how to run the gamemode, and can actually survive for much much longer.

The way they are posing it now there will only be one server. I agree with you but not if it's only one server.

No, I'd hate that bowling alley with a passion. I'd go to the one near the church in the white district of town.
Exactly my point, you don't hate the game, you hate the location.

But, I'm just stating my opinion. I'm fine with it being private and all but
The way they are posing it now there will only be one server. I agree with you but not if it's only one server.

There can be as many servers as we deem fit because we have a key just for CityMod.
Though the mod will never be viewed by anyone other than me and Vaux. We have both made it very clear to eachother.

Ibans has gotten to the point where you water you LSD brick and somehow magically grow the pills. If this mod gets out I can foresee that happening, and that would ruin the mod and give it a bad rep. Private is the way to go.