Poll

name/logo

yes
117 (63.9%)
no (vote for this)
66 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 183

Author Topic: BAM Development (see page 25)  (Read 44190 times)

Private should be private. Not "the download is private but that's it"

why quote someone and give no input? it's handicapped and you aren't changing anything besides upping your post count.

why quote someone and give no input? it's handicapped and you aren't changing anything besides upping your post count.
They're giving input: their opinion. It just happens to be the same as someone elses opinion. That's not a bad thing. And guess what? My opinion's the same too, so here we go:

They're giving input: their opinion. It just happens to be the same as someone elses opinion. That's not a bad thing. And guess what? My opinion's the same too, so here we go:

Pretty handicapped to just quote someone when it's already been said, I'm pretty sure whoever is reading gets the point.

Will you put an id lookup thing

The BAM website will include tons of searchable statistics, including BLIDs.

The BAM website will include tons of searchable statistics, including BLIDs.

Yey! And a nice friendly api?

Yey! And a nice friendly api?

REST-friendly endpoints with JSON responses (and maybe XML, depends).

REST-friendly endpoints with JSON responses (and maybe XML, depends).

I am now a true bam-liever!

That doesn't really work when everyone already knows about those crappy private add-ons that only their selective group can have. Allowing people to see the page would do nothing more than hosting a server with that add-on activated.

That's why most people host passworded servers when they are beta testing their (private for the time being) add-ons. So handicaps don't come in and forget everything up. Allowing people to see the page would probably be bad for everyone-- developers wouldn't fill out information about the Add-On and people would be angry that they can access an add-on's page but not download it.

That's why most people host passworded servers when they are beta testing their (private for the time being) add-ons. So handicaps don't come in and forget everything up. Allowing people to see the page would probably be bad for everyone-- developers wouldn't fill out information about the Add-On and people would be angry that they can access an add-on's page but not download it.
I'm referring to private add-ons that are private so your ego would be boosted. Not beta add-ons.

I'm referring to private add-ons that are private so your ego would be boosted. Not beta add-ons.

The point of an add-on being private is not boosting your ego. If the only reason you want support for private add-ons is boosting your ego then you can go look for another service (oh wait).

There's only few kinds of add-ons I've ever seen kept private.
1. Because Badspot failbins it.
2. Because the gamemode requires a single higher populated server to be of any entertainment.
3. They aren't done yet.
4. It's not user friendly. It requires extensive effort to become functional in a server beyond installation.
5. It's abusable in common server conditions.
6. It stopped working and due to an update, is irreparable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:52:23 AM by Chrono »

So you suggest that BAM implements two private add-on systems that work exactly the same way except that one showcases your add-on to the public and the other one doesn't? Even in a perfect world that would be absurd, and this world isn't perfect so nobody would use the private add-on system and everyone would use the beta add-on system.