Poll

name/logo

yes
117 (63.9%)
no (vote for this)
66 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 183

Author Topic: BAM Development (see page 25)  (Read 44206 times)

RTB had 3,318 add-ons, 559 of which were private.
I stand corrected. Doesn't mean having 2kool4skool ego boosting private add-ons is good, though.

what if we don't have a private add-on system because it's so loving controversial, but instead have a beta add-on system
beta add-ons
+ have controlled downloads
+ are okay for us to review - they're public, just not public yet
+ the more feedback a dev working in beta gets, the better
private add-ons:
+ bitching
+ complaining

sounds win win to me

yeah i blew a bunch of logical fallacies right there, someone prove me wrong...
There should be a system like this.

Doesn't mean having 2kool4skool ego boosting private add-ons is good, though.
they will be private.

Crispy_, what are you even trying to accomplish? Private add-ons may or may not be supported, but they will be private.
Badspot mentioned something about being against the idea of private saves/add-ons so Crispy too must be against the idea.

Crispy isn't understanding it the same way Badspot does though.

I'm not sure why, but he seems to think people only keep things private so that they'll be 'cool'. I have not yet once seen someone say this about any add-on unless it was fail binned.

I stand corrected. Doesn't mean having 2kool4skool ego boosting private add-ons is good, though.
you seem really upset about "ego boosting" private add-ons. im sorry, but people don't always make add-ons private just to piss off little kids like you. i had an add-on listed as private because i wanted to test its integration with the RTB server before releasing it public. this allowed other testers to easily download and receive new versions of the client without having to check with me or join the server. this kept normal players from downloading an add-on that may break or spam popup messages (as its not complete).

Badspot mentioned something about being against the idea of private saves/add-ons so Crispy too must be against the idea.
More so - I'm more than sure Ephialtes was also against private add-ons, even though he had it's own thing in RTB.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

you seem really upset about "ego boosting" private add-ons. im sorry, but people don't always make add-ons private just to piss off little kids like you. i had an add-on listed as private because i wanted to test its integration with the RTB server before releasing it public. this allowed other testers to easily download and receive new versions of the client without having to check with me or join the server. this kept normal players from downloading an add-on that may break or spam popup messages (as its not complete).
"beta add-on"

"beta add-on"
i think you missed the point here:

people don't always make add-ons private just to piss people off.

And also:
they will be private.

Should've been called "Return To RTB"

The issue I see with a beta add-on system is that people are apt to use it as a private add-on distribution system anyway. Like, IMO software shouldn't be restrictive. It's a utility, you should be able to use that software in any way you please. Intentionally stopping people from doing something with your software seems unethical to me.

I approve of keeping beta/unfinished stuff private.

Private add-ons will probably be handled similarly to how GitHub handles private repositories.

So then why are you complaining about it when that is one of the main reasons of the system...?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:58:27 AM by Evar678 »

-i indirectly reject private addons-
We're going to have private addons. Whether or not we're going to have a beta addon system is up to port.