Author Topic: Facebook bought Oculus VR  (Read 4401 times)

gaming isn't some sort of no girls clubhouse.  Sure Facebook runs a social network, but why does that matter when clearly Facebook shows an interest in helping to produce the next big thing?  Oculus was frankly never going to make it on its own.  VR got too big too fast to keep up with demand for a solid, inexpensive product, and Facebook wants to help make that a reality.  The oculus guys are smart, they know what they're going into here.
sure gaming isn't a no girls clubhouse. I'm just saying it would be weird if a theatre company went out and bought a brand of lamps which is essentially what is happening here. brand of lamps = electronics = game company = vr, theatre company = public place = social network = Facebook

sure gaming isn't a no girls clubhouse. I'm just saying it would be weird if a theatre company went out and bought a brand of lamps which is essentially what is happening here. brand of lamps = electronics = game company = vr, theatre company = public place = social network = Facebook
tech = VR & tech = social networking.
Oculus is still run by a guy who knows way more about VR than anyone at Facebook, Facebook is just there to provide funding and resources.

Also in point two, how the forget would they steal medical data through the Rift?  Are you loving mad?  I fail to understand how you made that leap

one of the major things that zuckerberg said in his announcement is that he has plans to, through the rift, allow patients visit doctors through facebook, which already seems ridiculous cause you could just do that through skype

if facebook listens in, or watches, or records any of these patient-doctor visits which really don't have to be fostered through the rift in the first place, they're breaking both the whole 'confidentiality' thing and a lot of people's trust, but they could feasibly get away with it because im pretty sure facebook records nearly everything at this point, if only for ads

if facebook listens in, or watches, or records any of these patient-doctor visits which really don't have to be fostered through the rift in the first place, they're breaking both the whole 'confidentiality' thing and a lot of people's trust, but they could feasibly get away with it because im pretty sure facebook records nearly everything at this point, if only for ads
Karl Marx was right, capitalism does exploit people.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:49:16 AM by Harm94 »

I'm not to upset over this, Facebook owning rift doesn't stop me from using it with my favorite games.

i think we are ignoring the real issues here like how facebook and co will interact with the research games being made for it

I've read somewhere that Mark Zuckerberg didn't even know that Oculus Rift existed some months ago

Facebook is a very forward thinking company, how do you think they've stayed on top so long?

Because Facebook likes to buy out every similar site and company?

:(

Hopefully that new Playstation thing will take the spot of the Oculus Rift?

i think we are ignoring the real issues here like how facebook and co will interact with the research games being made for it
oh god hes right
Now were never getting VR research D=

Quote from: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/facebook-oculus-vr-2-billion/
Update: We're on the call now, and Mark Zuckerberg is already pointing out Facebook's acquisition of Instagram as an example of how the company is getting experience buying properties and allowing them to continue to operate independently. Zuckerberg called out virtual reality as one of the computing platforms of the future -- following desktops and mobile -- and yes, talked about building Facebook's advertising into it.
Quote from: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/technology/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-virtual-reality-headset.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=0
About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said.

According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.

Some developers were not happy about the deal. “We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus,” said Markus Persson, creator of the popular game, on Twitter. “I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out.”

to think you'd go so far, shekelberg.

Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo
I'd rather have a bunch of pictures of genitals plastered on it instead of this.

There are plenty of great companies owned by terrible ones. The anger over this is crazy.

If this let's me buy a cheaper 1080p oculus rift faster then good, That's all i really want from them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8965-So-That-Facebook-And-Oculus-Rift-Thing
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:29:53 PM by tails »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYv6c4NB13M

If you want to look at a more neutral side to this

I'd rather have a bunch of pictures of genitals plastered on it instead of this.
wouldnt we all?