Poll

Even if no more problems with the home-hosting happen, would you pay $4.00/month if HammerHost was still run at home?

Yes, home hosting will stabilize and become more reliable
No, I feel comfortable only with a remote dedicated server

Author Topic: HammerHost dedicated hosting service :: Clients, get your files  (Read 52459 times)

Is it true that I can trial/test a dedicated server for a month for free?
1: There is no "free trial". The hosting service is currently free for life.
2: I am not going to accept more clients until this downtime is permanently solved.

How come every blockland hosting service gets ddosed?

CBMhost was somehow extremely, extremely lucky to never get DoS'd.

Some people get mad when they get their keys revoked for a just reason so they try to ruin the game.

CBMhost was somehow extremely, extremely lucky to never get DoS'd.
or cowboy6 paid for ddos protection.

How will this help?? Getting a remote server will make things worse. Becaue a server ISP is a hundred times more likely to null-route or terminate my IP address than Verizon. The cause of the downtime is now a freaking DoS attack, and is not remotely related to hardware.

Well giving up is probably the best bet then. That's what RTB did, right heedicalking?

Well giving up is probably the best bet then. That's what RTB did, right heedicalking?

you said "either give up or get a dedicated server" you never said "get a dedicated server and then give up". you implied the dedicated server would solve anything, which it wouldn't. did RTB give up because of the ddos? ephi mentioned DoS protection costing to much, but pointed most of his attention towards the fact that this game's development is dead unless and there's no moving forward (unless it somehow moves cash into badspot's wallet). i don't know, he said that he didn't plan on explaining much but clarified a couple of things. you'd have more knowledge then me though after spending a couple years on the unofficial RTB tour fan-bus.

you said "either give up or get a dedicated server" you never said "get a dedicated server and then give up". you implied the dedicated server would solve anything, which it wouldn't.
Yes it loving would. A dedicated server would solve many of the issues that Hammer has currently faced. I don't think having server grade technology would get a plastic fragment blocking a fan would it? Even if it did it has redundancy fans that'll keep it as cool as it should. I'm saying here that having a built home server to host many Blockland clients is stupid and petty. No residential broadband connection will have the server grade bandwidth and connection, no matter how fast clients are able to pull information from the server. I'm pretty sure that every ISP lies about how fast you can download things. Apparently I can get a 50mb/s upload and download constantly, the biggest load of bullstuff I ever got, and yes, my residential connection is on business grade tier too. You'll never get the customer service a dedicated service would. I think it's easy to say that if you constantly get DoS/DDoS attacks towards a home connection then you're definitely screwed. It's inevitable that this service will be shut down because of the fact that people are constantly attacking the service, if it is a DoS then I don't think anything will cause them to stop. Hammereditor has too much hatred going against him to have a service running without a bandwagon of sluts trying to disable his online persona and his 'hard' work that he's put into it.

RTB closed down because of Ephi having a life to live. RTB Hosting went down because of how the dedicated servers couldn't handle the DDoS attacks from the numerous arseholes in this community who only likes to cause stuff to make this game as sucky as possible. This game will constantly get attacked until it's popular enough(which is never because of the stuff advertising campaign, that rant is for another topic) to block out all of the cunts in Badspot's efforts to be able to let people host and get enough money and profit to actually try and get DDoS protection. It doesn't matter if you're protected or not, it'll always take it's toll on the servers.

Building a hosting service isn't for the inexperienced. You need to know your stuff and make sure you've got redundancies to keep your clients happy. If you can't do that then get the forget out of the ball game and invest your time into learning how to actually protect and keep a good up-time.

unofficial RTB tour fan-bus.
Are you for real right now? I was never on the tour fan-bus, I am friends with Ephi and I was interested in RTB's development. I was one of the few people who actually tried to motivate him to make your experience better with Blockland. Unfortunately cunts like you have to shove this 'rtb fan club' card towards the people who talked to Ephi and stuck up for him in attempt to get some kudos. I'm glad that RTB closed down because none of you at all appreciated the time that he put into it. Nobody exactly understands.

Oh and how is your brother right now? What about your mum and the service that she's trying to have for her TV?

Oh wait, they can't even use the internet because of the stuff that you're causing with this 'hosting service'.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:01:57 PM by nerraD »

No residential broadband connection will have the server grade bandwidth and connection
I don't need a server-grade connection and bandwidth. I only run a small web site in addition to the BL servers, so 50 / 25 is enough for me. Most broadband providers don't run fiber-optic cables all the way to your doorstep, but Verizon FiOS does. Because that ISP is available in my area, ping is not going to be as high as you would expect from a traditional copper-wire broadband residential connection.

I'm pretty sure that every ISP lies about how fast you can download things.
Not me. My advertised speed is 50 Mbps / 25 Mbps, and this is what the real speeds are:

I think it's easy to say that if you constantly get DoS/DDoS attacks towards a home connection then you're definitely screwed. It's inevitable that this service will be shut down because of the fact that people are constantly attacking the service, if it is a DoS then I don't think anything will cause them to stop.
I would be even more screwed if I used a remote server, either a VPS or dedicated one. On my home connection it's unlikely I would get null-routed, but on a server-grade ISP, I could be null-routed for a DoS attack similar to the one which happened for the past 48 hours (if it's really a DoS).

Building a hosting service isn't for the inexperienced. You need to know your stuff and make sure you've got redundancies to keep your clients happy. If you can't do that then get the forget out of the ball game and invest your time into learning how to actually protect and keep a good up-time.

I have managed a hosting service in 2012 and I have run HamHost in 2013. I have 6 months of hosting service experience.
The only reason for the recent trouble is because it's home-hosted. If I had a remote server, and there were no DoS attacks, I would run HammerHost flawlessly. But home-hosting is making the management of it a lot harder, and I know this.

Although home-hosting is risky, it involves rewards. The rewards are that it is much cheaper than a dedicated server, and with FiOS, they have lax DoS policies. The risks are power and network outages, and hardware failure. Yet I chose this path because it pays off in the long run, although uptime will be lower forever and it'll take a few weeks to cross the initial hurdles. I chose this path to make sure my ISP would never terminate me.

Oh and how is your brother right now? What about your mum and the service that she's trying to have for her TV?

Oh wait, they can't even use the internet because of the stuff that you're causing with this 'hosting service'.
The television does work but the GUI is crippled whenever the internet is offline. Yes, I know that the whole house is affected, but my family is not ready to give up yet.

or cowboy6 paid for ddos protection.
I talk to Cowboy6 every night on a regular basis, and he does NOT have DDoS protection. Would you expect any free hosting service to?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:32:22 PM by Hammereditor5 »

I don't need a server-grade connection and bandwidth. I only run a small web site in addition to the BL servers, so 50 / 25 is enough for me. Most broadband providers don't run fiber-optic cables all the way to your doorstep, but Verizon FiOS does. Because that ISP is available in my area, ping is not going to be as high as you would expect from a traditional copper-wire broadband residential connection.
Not me. My advertised speed is 50 Mbps / 25 Mbps, and this is what the real speeds are:

What I'm saying is that you need a server-grade connection to keep the reliability. Only because you've got speedy downloads and uploads doesn't mean it'll be reliable. You could have 500mb/s upload and download and the internet could still stuff in it's own pants.

I would be even more screwed if I used a remote server, either a VPS or dedicated one. On my home connection it's unlikely I would get null-routed, but on a server-grade ISP, I could be null-routed for a DoS attack similar to the one which happened for the past 48 hours (if it's really a DoS).
Only because you're able to gain local access to it doesn't mean it makes you any less screwed than it would if you have a VPS. Only because you've got local access doesn't mean anything, the server is pointless without the loving internet. Jheeze.

I have managed a hosting service in 2012 and I have run HamHost in 2013. I have 6 months of hosting service experience.
The only reason for the recent trouble is because it's home-hosted. If I had a remote server, and there were no DoS attacks, I would run HammerHost flawlessly. But home-hosting is making the management of it a lot harder, and I know this.
You've just backed up my last post. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Although home-hosting is risky, it involves rewards. The rewards are that it is much cheaper than a dedicated server, and with FiOS, they have lax DoS policies. The risks are power and network outages, and hardware failure. Yet I chose this path because it pays off in the long run, although uptime will be lower forever and it'll take a few weeks to cross the initial hurdles. I chose this path to make sure my ISP would never terminate me.
You've got 47% up-time in the past week, are you being serious suggesting that's a reward?

The television does work but the GUI is crippled whenever the internet is offline. Yes, I know that the whole house is affected, but my family is not ready to give up yet.
Your family had no choice. I don't think your family are behind you with this if you're distrupting their abilities to work normally.

You've got 47% up-time in the past week, are you being serious suggesting that's a reward?
This is only because of the recent ISP failures. Over time, you're going to see much higher uptime once Verizon solves their problems.
Anyway, the hosting service has been online for the past four hours. The ISP called, saying that the downtime since Monday was all their fault, and it has now been solved.

Host a 100MB test file and let someone with good speeds download it.

This is only because of the recent ISP failures. Over time, you're going to see much higher uptime once Verizon solves their problems.
So after Verizon's network issues, then comes in the DDoS attacks then you'll have literally no connection to Blockland at all. I think it's just too much hassle for something people could do themselves.

then comes in the DDoS attacks
They were actually not DDoS attacks, but the ISP trying to fix the infrastructure.

Hey Darren. Stop being a cunt on HammerEditor's thread please. Go make a drama topic if you wanna start stuff properly.
forget off.

Negotiation:
10/10