Author Topic: what do you guys hate about your school firewall  (Read 2543 times)

It doesn't affect me too much, I bypass it cause i'm a rebel. I'm actually in school now but they don't block the forums.

It does get annoying having to use a proxy all the time but at least I can go do what I want.

it blocks any website that you're not allowed to go on based on the contract you sign, like anything research related.

Classmate: I'll learn about Walt Disney. *Clicks on Wikipedia page of Walt Disney*

Page: Sorry, this page is blocked!

Classmate: Why is Wikipedia blocked?

But it allows games like Rebuild, and of course-they have nothing bad in them at all!

my school blocks imgur so half the time people post pics on the forum i cant see them cause they use imgur

fortunately they dont block photobucket or tinypic so i can still use my tinypic account to post pics from here

in total these are the websites they block:
  • imgur
  • wikipedia
  • reddit
  • research sites
  • google image searches
  • web advertisements (some of the time)
  • tumblr
  • facebook
  • youtube
  • pinterest
  • twitter
  • newgrounds
  • deviantart

its pretty tough
though funny enough, they dont block websites to flash games and such

wikipedia and google images has no reason to be blocked
that is like someone forcing you to get aluminium but you aren't allowed to get it from anywhere except mining it yourself from the ground, it's tedious
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:00:11 AM by Maxwell. »

wikipedia and google images has no reason to be blocked
my school holds the false mainstream view of wikipedia that "it's not a reliable source; anyone can edit it!"

when neither are true at all. they mostly say they just dont want kids using wikipedia as a source in their schoolworks
so instead you have to go to these crappy third-party education websites that have a terrible interface and are falling apart at the seams instead
not to mention those stupid "pay-to-learn" encyclopedia sites

they block google images because ofc its easy to just google research or countless things that are politically incorrect the school would find "offensive", like pictures of people holding up their middle fingers, or confederate flags
people are such babies these days

I go to a project based school and I do a lot of projects on video game things. I think you know what my problem is.

My school uses the Barracuda one
Fortunately they dont block VPNs so I just use a VPN app on my iPod to get around it.

Maybe you should be doing your work and not wasting time on the computer. They have computer labs so you can get assignments done, not goof off and play games online.

This website isn't blocked
But apparantly Ancient Rome is violent and I can't look it up on Wikipedia here

You have to log in just to use the internet.

School firewall here blocks just about everything.

Good thing I've got my own proxy. http://prx.pecon.us

my school has no firewall
when our lunch break from 12:00 to 1:45 begins we attack the computers and browse the internet and play games
its amazing

the school is ok with that, too

Everything is blocked but Youtube, Facebook, the school's website, Google and Wikipedia. Even Team Viewer can't get the connection through to use my home PC to browse the forums at school. My school uses Windows' Firewall with a combination of Fortiguard. It has a website whitelist. I've tried VPNs, Proxies, remote control programs, nothing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:05:12 PM by Pie Crust »

my school's firewall is terrible, can be easily diverted by using a vpn....