3 (25%)
Red Hat/SUSE
0 (0%)
BSD (this includes Mac and iOS)
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The UNIX Megathread -- New poll  (Read 18355 times)

Specs pls.

Specifically hard drive size.

CPU: Samsung Exynos 5 Dual (5250) (Cortex A15; 1.7GHz dual core cpu)
GPU: ARM Mali-T604 (Quad Core)

RAM: 2 GiB DDR3

Disk: 16 GiB SSD (connected to eMMC)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 5 Dual (5250) (Cortex A15; 1.7GHz dual core cpu)
GPU: ARM Mali-T604 (Quad Core)

RAM: 2 GiB DDR3

Disk: 16 GiB SSD (connected to eMMC)

Holy stuff. A 16 gigabyte disk is gonna need something super small.

How much experience with Linux do you have?

I would suggest Lubuntu if you want something simple. It is known for being able to run on almost anything.

What's the best distro to run on  a chromebook?
woah woah waoh hold it. a chrome book? dont you need some serious hacking to install another OS? like opening it up and soldering some chips or whatever?

woah woah waoh hold it. a chrome book? dont you need some serious hacking to install another OS? like opening it up and soldering some chips or whatever?
What? Since when was Google loving insane? I didn't think any desktop/laptop computer tried to lock you into your OS except for macs.

not from what I've heard. an ubuntu fork called "chrubuntu" was released for use with chromebooks

What? Since when was Google loving insane? I didn't think any desktop/laptop computer tried to lock you into your OS except for macs.

Macs don't try to lock you into your OS.. wtf? Apple literally has firmware called Bootcamp that they offer /for free/ to all mac users to allow them to run Windows.

It's the other way around. Mac doesn't want to be ran on any non-apple hardware.

It's the other way around. Mac doesn't want to be ran on any non-apple hardware.
Oh yeah. Nvm, I had it backwards.

ok never mind its only for windows that you have to open it up.

look at the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5crPfEAhvs

for linux its easier. frig you google

I'm still loving trying to install cygwin. The installer keeps randomly stopping downloads. This happens every single time I try to do this. It just stops in a random place. At this point I have tried 80+ times, by just closing the window and starting over.

EDIT: I tried it another ~10 times and it suddenly worked. Yay?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:29:23 PM by blueblur121 »

Bump.

How does one get sshd working on cygwin? I really would like to be able to access my Windows computer from all of my other ones.

KDE5 development preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_zJJfsGsA&feature=youtu.be

ohhhhhhhhh i want it so badly
Ew. I really don't like how it looks. All flat and stuff. I can barely even see the workspace switcher. And even past the themes, some of the animations seem like too much.

Call me a hipster, but I would prefer XFCE over KDE even if I had a computer that could run it. It's simple enough, incredibly configurable (I bet KDE is too, but whatever), and very widely used among the Arch Linux/Manjaro community. And I really like compiz. Kwin is confusing to me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:11:16 PM by blueblur121 »

bump.

Please don't let this die. D:

its gonna die really quickly like the linux mt or the desktop mt 3