3 (25%)
Red Hat/SUSE
0 (0%)
BSD (this includes Mac and iOS)
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The UNIX Megathread -- New poll  (Read 18364 times)

No it's not. It was written from scratch.
BSD is Unix.
We still talk about it in this thread because it is Unix-like
yaourt -S screenfetch
screenfetch

This installs screenfetch. Screenfetch, when you use it as a command, displays info about your system. It is primarily used for screenshots, and it should list your graphics card.
Every source I've seen has called Linux UNIX-based. You say it was written from scratch, but everyone calls Linux UNIX-based because it operates in an identical or nearly identical fashion? I'm somewhat confused now... Could you link me to a reliable source explaining it?

Every source I've seen has called Linux UNIX-based. You say it was written from scratch, but everyone calls Linux UNIX-based because it operates in an identical or nearly identical fashion? I'm somewhat confused now... Could you link me to a reliable source explaining it?
linux is unix-based
bsd is too, but it is not linux
linux and bsd are different!

and  that my friends, is what I paid $5 for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like
Linux is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution.

It is not based on Unix code.
The acronym GNU literally means "GNU's not Unix"

Let me look for a more reliable source.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:21:33 PM by blueblur121 »

Wikipedia is reliable enough. If you don't trust that then look at where it sources those facts

Yeah, Wikipedia's fine. Well that clears things up. I guess it really is just so similar to UNIX that many people call Linux a UNIX OS. Kudos to you for knowing your stuff, blue. ;)

Hey pacha, I have a question. What do you use cygwin for? I think I may be interested. Having unix tools and things such as ssh or bash could be really cool to mess around with.

Hey pacha, I have a question. What do you use cygwin for? I think I may be interested. Having unix tools and things such as ssh or bash could be really cool to mess around with.
right now i just use tmux in a singular cygwin window, with the pane split into two. on one side i have my ssh'd into vps and on the other i have an irssi window

Just IRC and SSH? Couldn't windows already do both of those things?

Just IRC and SSH? Couldn't windows already do both of those things?
sure, but i like using cygwin for those things bc irssi is nice and i like using the terminus font in cygwin

I can't seem to install it. It keeps freezing in the middle of a random download. Yes, I have tried different mirrors.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:54:17 PM by blueblur121 »

I'm on a laptop with intergrated graphics. I thought it'd show it, but it doesn't seem to.
    Kernel: i686 Linux 3.12.22-1-MANJARO
    Uptime: 32m
   Packages: 881
     Shell: bash 4.3.18
     Resolution: 1280x800
      DE: XFCE4
    WM: Xfwm4
     WM Theme: Menda
    GTK Theme: Menda [GTK2]
    Icon Theme: Faenza-Green
    Font: Source Sans Pro 11
     CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.6GHz
     RAM: 650MB / 996MB

I can't seem to install it. It keeps freezing in the middle of a random download. Yes, I have tried different mirrors.
happens to me too. just close the installer and reopen it.

I'm on a laptop with intergrated graphics. I thought it'd show it, but it doesn't seem to.
tell me what the output of lspci -v | less is

What's the best distro to run on  a chromebook?

What's the best distro to run on  a chromebook?
Specs pls.

Specifically hard drive size.

just close the installer and reopen it.
I've done that like fifty times. I'm not even half way through the files I need to download.

The forget is wrong with this installer.

dunno, it does stuff like that sometimes.