3 (25%)
Red Hat/SUSE
0 (0%)
BSD (this includes Mac and iOS)
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The UNIX Megathread -- New poll  (Read 18528 times)

Guys, opinions please. Would it be better for me to boot up Linux on my soon-to-be new computer and partition one boot, one NTFS, and one HFS Journaled partition, installing Win 8 on the NTFS and OS X 10.9 on the HFS, or should I just partition an HFS, install Mac on it, and use Bootcamp to create my Windows partition and install it on there?

Install Windows first, then make partitions for other things. That's how I would do it anyway. I don't have much experience with dual booting though.

you (i) can now use telnet to connect to the pi!

i thought telnet was for windows, wouldnt that be more work than ssh to get it working on linux

i thought telnet was for windows, wouldnt that be more work than ssh to get it working on linux
yes but why bother when you can use the oh-so secure telnet that is faster!
[/sarcasm]
jk, i only set it up for stuffs and giggles
ssh > all

Jesus christ. Windows servers are nightmares to deal with. I don't mean inconvenient. I mean it loving fights you every step of the way to do anything.

I'm so loving spoiled by UNIX servers.

Guys, I just got a super old computer with Windows 98 on it. What (Preferably Linux based) OS has hardware requirements low enough to run on something that old? I tried to install Lubuntu 14.04, but the kernel wasn't compatible with the CPU. (i think)

Oh stuff guys I need help. Whenever I try to launch the compiz fusion icon I get this.
Code: [Select]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/fusion-icon", line 63, in <module>
    from FusionIcon.interface import choose_interface
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 22, in <module>
    from util import env
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FusionIcon/util.py", line 23, in <module>
    import os, compizconfig, ConfigParser, time
ImportError: libprotobuf.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
That means that I can't launch compiz, leaving my XFCE desktop completely broken.

There's a reason why Compiz is no longer in Arch's official repos. Just saying...

I'd either try it without the icon or ditch it and go back to XFWM.