3 (25%)
Red Hat/SUSE
0 (0%)
BSD (this includes Mac and iOS)
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The UNIX Megathread -- New poll  (Read 18378 times)

Wait. I actually have a question.

If I took the mirrorlist from Manjaro and put it in my Arch install, would I have the stabler Manjaro repos?

Bump.

If anyone knows the answer to my question it would be greatly appreciated if you tell me.

Yeah, Wikipedia's fine. Well that clears things up. I guess it really is just so similar to UNIX that many people call Linux a UNIX OS. Kudos to you for knowing your stuff, blue. ;)

The release of Unix brought with it the POSIX standard. Any operating system that complies with POSIX has the right to be called 'Unix-like'. The GNU/Linux operating system is POSIX compliant (compatible with Unix on a software level) and so is referred to as 'Unix-like'. BSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD are also POSIX compliant, and are also referred to as 'Unix-like', even though all of these were virtually written from scratch to avoid copyright/license-related crap from AT&T.

BSD wasn't written from scratch. GNU/Linux was. BSD is a distribution of Unix.
Quote from: Wikipedia
Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD, sometimes called Berkeley Unix) was a Unix operating system derivative developed and distributed by the Computer Systems Research Group (CSRG) of the University of California, Berkeley, from 1977 to 1995.

And also, still waiting on that question.
If I took the mirrorlist from Manjaro and put it in my Arch install, would I have the stabler Manjaro repos?

its a possibility stuff wont break if you did that, but i doubt it

its a possibility stuff wont break if you did that, but i doubt it
It's arch. stuff breaks anyway.

Bump.

I'm having trouble switching shells on my phone. The default for jailbroken iOS devices is sh. I have bash installed and I can run it, but when I open the terminal it's always sh to begin with.

iOS is BSD based. I don't know if that changes anything, but from what I have seen it works the same way for the most part.

Bump.
I'm having trouble switching shells on my phone. The default for jailbroken iOS devices is sh. I have bash installed and I can run it, but when I open the terminal it's always sh to begin with.

iOS is BSD based. I don't know if that changes anything, but from what I have seen it works the same way for the most part.
I've looked elsewhere for help, but I can't find it anywhere.

Thank god. iOS supports POSIX sockets. I thought I was going to have to learn the catastrophe of programming that Objective-C is just to send out network packets.

im currently tryna set up an ssh server on my unused laptop
wat os

..whatever OS you want to use via your SSH environment? It's not like one distro is "better" for SSHing or something.

Yeah, SSH is available for all Unix-like operating systems.

i installed ubuntu server on it
ssh and everything works
now i need to get a dynamic dns cuz my stuffty isp doesnt allow me to have a static ip

Um. What are you planning to host from this laptop-server of yours?

i am writing this reply from a command-line-interface web browse called Lynx. this is really fun except there are no images which sucks richard.