Author Topic: mental handicapation fight  (Read 11762 times)

They don't play well. They play average.

according to who

they play well according to the majority of people

and i don't care if they play "average" in a community of cellists

sure there are other musicians with more talent but that doesn't mean these cellists aren't talented

besides, it is totally an starfish move to put people down when they have a skill (of any forgetin' degree) and want to show people what they can do.

according to who
Anyone who plays a cello. Or any instrument, for that matter.

and i don't care if they play "average" in a community of cellists
Then why are you even asking if you intend to totally disregard the answer? That's the way it is.

Reson, you don't seem to understand that what the majority of people think in gauging talent on an instrument like this is meaningless. The talent ceiling is incredibly high on musical instruments.

so why don't these guys have talent

because you're better than them?

what a mighty fine high horse you're riding there

No, because people who are talented are better than them.

No, because people who are talented are better than them.

Because there are other talented people means that these guys have no talent is what you're saying.

flawless logic 10/10 can't argue with that

so why don't these guys have talent

because you're better than them?

what a mighty fine high horse you're riding there
i provided my background in my instrument to illustrate that I know something of how to gauge talent, not to insinuate that "i'm better than them so they're talentless". Hell, even in the intro piece it's possible that they could be very skilled for their age, but the act did not show that, objectively. Taboo is already hitting these points in many less words.

Because there are other talented people means that these guys have no talent is what you're saying.
flawless logic 10/10 can't argue with that
Not other talented people. Talented people. Period.

They played technically average. The crowd got up for the gimmick. A place full of people who know music would not have reacted the same way. Since when is talent based on how gullible your audience is?
I don't condemn them personally, but the act and the audience's reaction. Have I actually shown true aggravation at any point in this thread? Am I not permitted to voice my opinion as to the amount of talent this act demonstrated? I truly do not understand where this is coming from, as all this post amounts to is my contemplation on their ability to trap an uneducated audience, like Taboo is saying.
And if you put a magician in front of a bunch of magicians, they won't have the same reaction
And if you put a juggler in front of a bunch of jugglers, they won't have the same reaction
And if you put a chef in front of a bunch of chefs, they won't have the same reaction
"Well guys, if you put them in front of a bunch of people of similar or greater skill, then they won't be impressed!!!!" I don't see how this obvious deduction is supposed to prove anything.

You're an amateur who's talking like he's seen the world. You're explanation has made you seem even lower than you were originally. So now you aren't just upset because you think they aren't good, you're upset because people LIKED them. Holy stuff, you get more pathetic by the second. Their ability to "trap" an "uneducated" audience, do you hear yourself? You're putting yourself on such a high pedestal talking down about the entire audience, the judges, and the players themselves.

They most likely aren't going to win, and they probably won't make it to the finals. But the judges sent them through because they recognize that they have potential and want to hear more of it. The judges understand that these kids aren't professionals, but still show amazement because they want to inspire people to continue pursuing and furthering their talent. By sending them through, it not only encourages them to continue playing, but it inspires people watching to continue furthering their talents as well. The judges recognize that their power isn't just to pick who is the best, but to inspire people to continue pursuing talents and trying new things. They see potential in what a thick-head like you doesn't, and that is the difference between you and them.

And if you put a magician in front of a bunch of magicians, they won't have the same reaction
And if you put a juggler in front of a bunch of jugglers, they won't have the same reaction
And if you put a chef in front of a bunch of chefs, they won't have the same reaction
"Well guys, if you put them in front of a bunch of people of similar or greater skill, then they won't be impressed!!!!" I don't see how this obvious deduction is supposed to prove anything.
Thanks captain, that's what we've been saying.
Attempting to turn this into something personal, aside from being hilarious, is not doing anything because it is totally irrelevant.

i provided my background in my instrument to illustrate that I know something of how to gauge talent
Demonstrate for me, so that I may too, gauge this talent.

You're an amateur who's talking like he's seen the world. You're explanation has made you seem even lower than you were originally. So now you aren't just upset because you think they aren't good, you're upset because people LIKED them. Holy stuff, you get more pathetic by the second. Their ability to "trap" an "uneducated" audience, do you hear yourself? You're putting yourself on such a high pedestal talking down about the entire audience, the judges, and the players themselves.

They most likely aren't going to win, and they probably won't make it to the finals. But the judges sent them through because they recognize that they have potential and want to hear more of it. The judges understand that these kids aren't professionals, but still show amazement because they want to inspire people to continue pursuing and furthering their talent. By sending them through, it not only encourages them to continue playing, but it inspires people watching to continue furthering their talents as well. The judges recognize that their power isn't just to pick who is the best, but to inspire people to continue pursuing talents and trying new things. They see potential in what a thick-head like you doesn't, and that is the difference between you and them.
Pursuit of this built up on what these judges that don't know the cello told them will only lead them to get shut down if they ever want to be serious about the instrument. What it takes to make a master in any music related field is relentless critique from experience professionals, not mindless bolstering. Your attack about the supposed pedestal I'm placing myself upon is asinine and irrelevant to what I'm saying with my posts. AGT is providing them with an easy pat on the back from people they know they can get a reaction about of without doing much.
I think this is a good representation of the OP.
Demonstrate for me, so that I may too, gauge this talent.
As someone who has been repeatedly exposed to world-class talent and taught what to listen for, my personal skill playing the instrument is not what I was presenting as my basis.