POLL - Should We Continue This? - Blockland Pitstop

Poll

Should we continue Blockland Pistop?

Yes, you should continue working on Blockland Pitstop
No, you should not work on Blockland Pitstop

Author Topic: POLL - Should We Continue This? - Blockland Pitstop  (Read 44498 times)

Valid reasons to add a strike to a player in the Global Blacklist:
  • Successfully Drama'd (for a good reason, such as: admin abuse, harassment, etc)
  • Using Cheats/Hacks/Exploits (which may never occur)
  • Spambots (program that is designed to flood the chat with any given message. User-made spam is different and is not a valid reason.)
Are you serious right now? Do you even have any idea where you're going with this? You're joking, right?
If I created a spam bot, that said numbers 1 - 1000 in the chat, I would get blacklisted. If I do the same thing by hand, I don't. This is literally the dumbest reason I have seen in a long time.
So, I write a spam bot that uses a for loop and have it use commandToServer('messageSent", %i); , and make it chat numbers 1 - 1000. Boom. Added to the "Global Blacklist". If I sit on my ass for a couple minutes, and then type every number, what difference does it make? Also, how the hell are you going to know whether or not it's a script or user-made spam? I could write a script that spams random characters every random 1-5 seconds, and you would have absolutely no way of figuring out whether or not it's from a script or "user-made". Once again, how do you expect to know whether or not someone was "Successfully Drama'd" for admin abuse? You can fake a ban message. Quite easily. This is the most horrifying and terrible idea I have seen in my entire life.

Are you serious right now? Do you even have any idea where you're going with this? You're joking, right?
If I created a spam bot, that said numbers 1 - 1000 in the chat, I would get blacklisted. If I do the same thing by hand, I don't. This is literally the dumbest reason I have seen in a long time.
So, I write a spam bot that uses a for loop and have it use commandToServer('messageSent", %i); , and make it chat numbers 1 - 1000. Boom. Added to the "Global Blacklist". If I sit on my ass for a couple minutes, and then type every number, what difference does it make? Also, how the hell are you going to know whether or not it's a script or user-made spam? I could write a script that spams random characters every random 1-5 seconds, and you would have absolutely no way of figuring out whether or not it's from a script or "user-made". Once again, how do you expect to know whether or not someone was "Successfully Drama'd" for admin abuse? You can fake a ban message. Quite easily. This is the most horrifying and terrible idea I have seen in my entire life.

I was having seconds thoughts about the reasons I put there, hoping that other users might give their opinion on them, and I would change them. But yeah, about the spamming, users don't really need a bot to spam over the entire chat, they can CTRL+C and CTRL+V rapidly. I'm definitely changing that rule.

What I was thinking is that if there is someone drama'd for a valid reason, and there are enough users to prove that the drama was true, then the instigator can put a poll to see if they want the user blacklisted, if there is a 10:0 ratio, I myself (or another trusted admin), would review the drama and then add the user to the blacklist if it succeeds.

Please give me your thoughts on that.

If enough server admins from different servers think someones a nuisance, they have the choice to add a strike to the user, and if there are enough strikes, the user is added to the GBL.

The reason that user was added to the GBL is because he/she was voted on by many different servers to be globally banned, since the user caused a ruckus.

...if there is a 10:0 ratio...

If I multiply both sides of a ratio by an amount, then the ratio is considered to be the same.
Let's multiply your voting ratio by an arbitrarily large number - let's say Graham's number.
You're basically saying that for ten times Graham's number, there must be NO ONE who is against the global ban for it to go through.

EDIT: Just to prove my point, I hereby declare for all future dramas and events that I am against global banning of that person.
Because of your frankly absurd voting ratio, that means that you can no longer add anyone to the list.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:07:47 AM by Xalos »

i hope you realize how easy it is to fabricate ingame messages even without the use of photoshop or other external editing programs. i could create an entire ingame conversation about you or somebody else spamming/being tribal/being a cunt and it would be completely identical to a real chat. hell, if i wanted to i could even pepper it with admin shield icons to bump up the authenticity.

even if that wasn't possible, you're still treading on territory a mod-manager shouldn't be treading in and it also opens up the possibility of abuse. how do we know you're not just going to add people you dislike to this global banlist willy nilly like it's your personal hitlist?

If I multiply both sides of a ratio by an amount, then the ratio is considered to be the same.
Let's multiply your voting ratio by an arbitrarily large number - let's say Graham's number.
You're basically saying that for ten times Graham's number, there must be NO ONE who is against the global ban for it to go through.

I just simply mean that if there are at least ten votes that say yes, over an amount of votes that say no, then it would be valid.

i hope you realize how easy it is to fabricate ingame messages even without the use of photoshop or other external editing programs. i could create an entire ingame conversation about you or somebody else spamming/being tribal/being a cunt and it would be completely identical to a real chat. hell, if i wanted to i could even pepper it with admin shield icons to bump up the authenticity.
There has to be other people backing up the evidence.

even if that wasn't possible, you're still treading on territory a mod-manager shouldn't be treading in and it also opens up the possibility of abuse. how do we know you're not just going to add people you dislike to this global banlist willy nilly like it's your personal hitlist?

Even if I do highly dislike someone, theres no valid reason to add them to the global blacklist just because they're on my 'hate list'.

Admins cannot add people to the blacklist for any reason other than a successful drama. Otherwise, its up to the servers to decide.

If there is any abuse coming from one of my admins, I will personally revoke his admin privileges, and possibly add him to the GBL if he went to the extremes (as one of the reasons states admin abuse is valid).

I don't think the global black list is a good idea. If someone wants someone else to be banned on their server, they'll ban them. Simple as that.

4th of July Update

I've finished the website user system, everything is secure and sanitized. You guys can register if you want, there will eventually be a dashboard where you can upload/download addons & saves.

I will add special perks if you sign up early ;)

(Please PM any bugs to me, if there are any).

Happy Independence Day!

4th of July Update

I've finished the website user system, everything is secure and sanitized. You guys can register if you want, there will eventually be a dashboard where you can upload/download addons & saves.

I will add special perks if you sign up early ;)

(Please PM any bugs to me, if there are any).

Happy Independence Day!
Seems like you'd put in you BL ID to register.

Seems like you'd put in you BL ID to register.

You actually need to put your blockland username. It will verify its you when it auths with the blockland database.

I think you should scrap the idea of a global ban-list altogether. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Server administrators can just look at the drama section and pick who they think needs to be banned.

The website is getting better! Thanks for your patience everyone.

I think you should scrap the idea of a global ban-list altogether. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Server administrators can just look at the drama section and pick who they think needs to be banned.

They can't do that, it will check to make sure the person they're banning is currently connected to the server.

They can't do that, it will check to make sure the person they're banning is currently connected to the server.
I'm saying that currently, without the global banlist, server admins can look at a drama and decide if they think the player should be banned. The opinion of the other voters might not be what you agree with, so I suggest scrapping the banlist or having an option to opt-out of the system

I'm saying that currently, without the global banlist, server admins can look at a drama and decide if they think the player should be banned. The opinion of the other voters might not be what you agree with, so I suggest scrapping the banlist or having an option to opt-out of the system

An option to opt-out was included the first time I wrote this thread.

Why do people keep making rtb replacements
Steam is fine