Poll

Should Blockland be on Linux?

Of Course Yes
No
Maybe
I'm not sure.....

Author Topic: Should Blockland be supported on Linux?  (Read 8795 times)

whats your reason for using linux
My reason is because Linux is Open-Source. You can do anything with it unlike the limitations that Micro$oft puts on their operating system, Windows. No, the Linux community does not show off their "PC Skills", we are a community that helps each other.

Ok, I don't normally rant, but...

Look, y'all need to take a chill pill. Just because Linux is open source and sometimes takes a bit more computer savviness to use, some people seem to hate it. I don't no why. But guess what! There's actually people in the world who use it for a reason (like myself; I have an old laptop that ran Vista, but barely, so I replaced it with Linux, which ran much faster on it). There are also people who use it just for fun. But no! Can't have fun! Can't use anything but Windows because that's what everyone else uses! This sort of "logic" is just makes my brain hurt sometimes. I understand the fact that if you buy a computer to play games on, it only makes sense to use Windows as your OS. I've got no issue with that. What I do take offense to, however, is when people disregard the fact that maybe someone is using Linux legitimately and happens to want to play Blockland on the side? Could it be that *gasp* they don't play many games and that in the long run Linux works better for what they spend most of their time doing on their computer? Or maybe they can't or don't want to shell out almost $100 to purchase an OS? People have different values, so please, just respect them. You don't have to agree, but at least learn some respect.

Ok, I don't normally rant, but...

Look, y'all need to take a chill pill. Just because Linux is open source and sometimes takes a bit more computer savviness to use, some people seem to hate it. I don't no why. But guess what! There's actually people in the world who use it for a reason (like myself; I have an old laptop that ran Vista, but barely, so I replaced it with Linux, which ran much faster on it). There are also people who use it just for fun. But no! Can't have fun! Can't use anything but Windows because that's what everyone else uses! This sort of "logic" is just makes my brain hurt sometimes. I understand the fact that if you buy a computer to play games on, it only makes sense to use Windows as your OS. I've got no issue with that. What I do take offense to, however, is when people disregard the fact that maybe someone is using Linux legitimately and happens to want to play Blockland on the side? Could it be that *gasp* they don't play many games and that in the long run Linux works better for what they spend most of their time doing on their computer? Or maybe they can't or don't want to shell out almost $100 to purchase an OS? People have different values, so please, just respect them. You don't have to agree, but at least learn some respect.
Amazing 10/10, but really I completely agree what you just said.

My reason is because Linux is Open-Source. You can do anything with it unlike the limitations that Micro$oft puts on their operating system, Windows. No, the Linux community does not show off their "PC Skills", we are a community that helps each other.
Uh huh? And what have you done with it?

Uh huh? And what have you done with it?
I've customized it, you know. Since it's Open Source. :)

I also play games on it, just like any person would do to their OS. (For example, I use Wine to play Windows Programs and Applications) 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:12:52 PM by blocklandman0815 »

Yes, customized it how?

Yes, customized it how?
There is this thing on Linux called Software Manager, that's where I got my personalized stuff. It's really easy to customize Linux, you just download the theme or widget and add them to your Linux Desktop. It's that easy.

I've customized my Desktop with a Fire Theme.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:19:23 PM by blocklandman0815 »

That is not only super boring, it's also beyond doable on Windows.

At least make it so you can run dedicated servers on linux. I guess getting Wine isn't too bad, but I'd rather not.

That is not only super boring, it's also beyond doable on Windows.
Unless it's your opinion, it's alright.

Also I can't customize the stuff on Windows like the stuff I can do on Linux. If I do, I will either get a virus or need to waste some money to get a Decent Theme for Windows. Just letting you do. :/

At least make it so you can run dedicated servers on linux. I guess getting Wine isn't too bad, but I'd rather not.
So I'm guessing a "ehhh" type of answer lol. It's your opinion

Unless it's your opinion, it's alright.
Also I can't customize the stuff on Windows like the stuff I can do on Linux. If I do, I will either get a virus or need to waste some money to get a Decent Theme for Windows. Just letting you do. :/
It sounds more like you don't know how to use Windows. That's hilarious.

At least make it so you can run dedicated servers on linux.
We've all seen for quite a while what Badspot does to help hosting services...
Hint: nothing

I guess getting Wine isn't too bad, but I'd rather not.
Yes...except for the CPU usage. Blockland runs  inefficiently on the CPU of a Linux system.  There's a 'base' CPU usage plus an amount per player. Let's say you have an AMD FX-6300 at stock speeds. With 3300 datablocks of add-ons and 50000 bricks, your base CPU usage will be about 10% on a core. Add more players and it quickly increases.

Blockland shouldn't have to be ported over to Linux, Linux should be able to support whatever language Blockland is written in.
This is the stupidest string of letters I have ever seen a human being put together to form a sentence.

open source means nothing to you. people need to stop throwing this word around to justify sad clones of professional products. did you edit any of the code in the os? make your own drivers? fix a bug? customizing the theme doesnt require open source.

I've customized it, you know. Since it's Open Source. :)

I also play games on it, just like any person would do to their OS. (For example, I use Wine to play Windows Programs and Applications) 
instead of attempting to bastardize the runtime of applications, just dont bother.
"hey let me complain how much windows sucks while i run a program on my linux that emulates windows programs"
you have no legit use for linux. youre just another hipster with a tin foil hat going around adding to the linux stereotype