Should Blockland be supported on Linux?

Poll

Should Blockland be on Linux?

Of Course Yes
No
Maybe
I'm not sure.....

Author Topic: Should Blockland be supported on Linux?  (Read 8791 times)

Guys, why is this an argument? People have the freedom to use whatever system they'd like to. It doesn't affect you.

I personally don't think Wine is a solution when it comes to trying to run Blockland on Linux. There are a variety of issues. Ultimately the best performance would come from a proper port of the code. I believe it is worthwhile to start making more software aimed at Linux. Linux isn't used just because it's some computer hipster system, it has it's own benefits and uses that it excels at more than Windows does, and sometimes due to that people prefer that it be their 'go-to' system rather than Windows. You also can consider the fact that Linux is 100% free and non-proprietary, so it's a great option when you can't afford Windows (Although anyone being able to afford a computer should be able to afford Windows, they just have to look in the right places).

this thread in a nutshell:
a: "guys I think blockland should be on linux"
b,c,d: "forget off just use wine"
a: "yeah but wine is buggy and stuff"
b,c,d: "well most of our userbase is windows so who gives a forget"
e: "well most of the userbase is windows because there aren't blockland players on linux, what the forget did you expect"
b,c,d: "well forget you no one uses linux"
a,e: "actually lots of people do and here's proof"
b,d: "forget off you're wrong"

this thread in a nutshell:
a: "guys I think blockland should be on linux"
b,c,d: "forget off just use wine"
a: "yeah but wine is buggy and stuff"
b,c,d: "well most of our userbase is windows so who gives a forget"
e: "well most of the userbase is windows because there aren't blockland players on linux, what the forget did you expect"
b,c,d: "well forget you no one uses linux"
a,e: "actually lots of people do and here's proof"
b,d: "forget off you're wrong"
You sir are amazing. Period.

4. Not only is hammer the single most unreliable source of information in the observable universe
I was referring to dedicated server CPU usage, not the client. The client runs fine on Wine, but the server version is inefficient, which is a reason why at least dedicated servers need to be ported to Wine. I've done tests on it, and you can also ask Lugnut. 70% of server operating systems are UNIX-based, so it makes sense that a lot of players would be using a Linux OS to host.

> youre just another hipster with a tin foil hat going around adding to the linux stereotype
the linux stereotype? what is that? not having malware?

lel

oh the days of the "virusless" macs...

one more than the other because money is being put into it, and money does increase quality
What makes you think $ increases quality? Don't forget how much more stable Linux is than Windows.

3. why do you need the full os code to change a theme "better" or "more".
If you want to change the desktop background, for example, it's as easy on Windows as it is on Linux. However, what if you want to do something more advanced such as a program embedded in the desktop background? Can you do this on a closed-source OS? Source code availability does not make customization more complicated, but it gives you access to advanced features if you are an expert.

he is using it as a title to flash around the meaning that its automatically better than closed source
Open-source is safer because the developers cannot hide any malware code inside, you can also learn programming from it, and you can modify it to add your own features. Open-source software is as good as proprietary, but it has these benefits.

lel

oh the days of the "virusless" macs...
Hey. Still haven't ever had a virus!  :cookieMonster:

Hey. Still haven't ever had a virus!  :cookieMonster:
just you wait, im sure eventually there will be a linux virus.

look, if you're gonna force us to bend down and take the "linux master race" then you need to stop
1. this topic is not about how good linux is
2. this topic is not about how better linux is
3. this topic is about why blockland should be supported on linux

things that should not belong here:
1. why you think linux is the master race
2. stupid and pointless arguments about how good linux is compared to other os
3. drama

now i agree blockland should be compatible with linux. this would widen the audience and allow for a possibility of steam os.

just you wait, im sure eventually there will be a linux virus.

look, if you're gonna force us to bend down and take the "linux master race" then you need to stop
1. this topic is not about how good linux is
2. this topic is not about how better linux is
3. this topic is about why blockland should be supported on linux

things that should not belong here:
1. why you think linux is the master race
2. stupid and pointless arguments about how good linux is compared to other os
3. drama

now i agree blockland should be compatible with linux. this would widen the audience and allow for a possibility of steam os.
I agree, and there has been over 50 virus (most if them are still active) for Linux. I could be wrong :/

There are most certainly viruses for Linux. Saying any system "doesn't get viruses" is pretty dumb to say. However, it is true that the way Linux installs software makes it inherently harder to get a virus. For example, there really isn't such a thing as just a plain old 'executable' file that you can download and double click to run. Instead, the encouraged way of getting software is by using apt-get to download software directly from repositories run by the developers of the distro.

The version of Torque Game Engine that Blockland uses natively supports Linux. The only reason I can think of that Badspot doesn't build and release under the Linux platform is because his changes to the engine have slighted Linux build capabilities. I have no idea how much work it would be for him to update everything to support Linux, but ostensibly it'd be too much work for too little value. Blockland runs almost perfectly on Wine, I actually get higher framerates using Wine than on native Windows, so I'd just say use Wine.

I actually find it odd people are complaining about using Wine to run Blockland. It actually runs decently, provided you have a not-sucky computer.

Damn, I leave for a minute...