Should Mentally Disabled People be Allowed to Reproduce?

Poll

"

Yes
33 (28.7%)
No
36 (31.3%)
Depends
46 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Should Mentally Disabled People be Allowed to Reproduce?  (Read 3869 times)

if this happens then the op is gonna need to get clipped

We should let them get kids, but in a seperate society so they can get supermutated and eventually we can have really interesting gladiator fights.

On a serious note:
If it's genetic, no, if it's not, sure.

There's no problem with them reproducing, you guys talk about them like they're animals. If a mentally disabled person does reproduce, though, they're probably not THAT mentally disabled.

No they all need vasectomies  :cookieMonster:

it's a free country let them do what they want
is it still a free country when we want to own guns

That's just a 6% chance of any "defect" continuing through each generation.
This figure is assuming a uniform distribution of all genetypes

according to genetics if both parents have the same thing i think it's a 50/50 chance of your child having your disease
unless i read that part of the book wrong
It might depend on whether the gene for the disability is recessive or dominant (if it's controlled by one gene).
It's a lot more complicated than this. By looking at someone you can determine whether or not they possess the trait (phenotype) but since an organism's DNA is composed of two copies, there are three different genetic variations (genotypes). Crossing two parents with three different possibilities results in six different possible pairs

I don't feel like drawing or typing up fancy punnet squares so just have this:

AA x AA = 100% AA
AA x Aa= 50% AA, 50% Aa
AA x aa = 100% Aa
Aa x Aa= 25% AA, 50% Aa, 25% aa
Aa x aa = 50% Aa, 50% aa
aa x aa = 100% aa

aa results in the recessive phenotype, whereas AA or Aa result in the dominat phenotype.
If possession of a trait is recessive, then yes, two parents with the trait will breed 100% of offspring with the trait.
But if the trait is dominant, it's much more complicated than that.

Of course, this is even further complicated by traits linked to more than one traits, traits where heterozygous and homozygous dominant give slightly different results, epigenetics, and probably a few other things. It's also not including the fact that there are plenty of disorders that aren't genetic related at all, or where genetics only gives a predisposition

if the problem is bad enough then you won't get laid
This. There's no need to "prevent" them from doing it. It'll be handled by itself; it's called natural selection. No one (or at lest, very few people) are going to want to date/forget someone where's very badly disabled. And there's nothing wrong with it, it's their natural instincts telling them "this person will not be a good care giver and provider for my children" which is, biologically/evolutionarily the sole purpose for dating/love

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:15:50 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

they shouldnt only if its genetic. and only if its sure that the baby would get it. if they have the mental compacity to know its their child and to take care of it then let them forget for all i care

I don't think that people have a right to reproduce, it's a privilege.
It simply isn't a fundamental human right.

That said America probably won't and shouldn't limit it, but in a more authoritarian state...

I don't think that people have a right to reproduce, it's a privilege.
It simply isn't a fundamental human right.

That said America probably won't and shouldn't limit it, but in a more authoritarian state...
great learder make nation big and strong for evil americans

Disabled + Disabled =/= Disabled

I know someone whose parent's were both mentally disabled. She turned out as a normal human being.
If you argue the "They can't take care of a child!" point, no, they didn't. Her aunt did for awhile, but her parents kept very close to her and she knew who were father and mother were. There isn't anything wrong with her and she looks like an average, 5 or 6/10 human being. She's a potential one night stand that you'd consider to call again for a second hook-up.

ITT: Bigotry and eugenics at it's finest.
Are you being serious here?
Please tell me you're not.
There's more to people than just a number and weather or not you'd put your richard in them.
And yet I'm the one in favour of Eugenics.

I feel like leaving reproduction up to humans in our day and age is a mistake anyway.

I feel like leaving reproduction up to humans in our day and age is a mistake anyway.
Yeah, OP should ask this question regarding people who are just extremely stupid, not disabled

I'd be in favor of requiring a passing score on a test of basic parenting ability, but there's no feasible way of preventing people from reproducing until they pass said test
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:08:19 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

If you are talking about the SJWs on tumblr then they should not only be prohibited from reproducing, but they should be put in front of a firing squad as well.

Yeah, OP should ask this question regarding people who are just extremely stupid, not disabled

I'd be in favor of requiring a passing score on a test of basic parenting ability, but there's no feasible way of preventing people from reproducing until they pass said test
we could just shoot them :cookieMonster: