Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16578 times)

You do it in this order:
Look left to right for any parenthesis, if so evaluate them with these same rules
Look left to right for any exponentiation, if any is found evaluate it
Look left to right for any multiplication OR division, if any is found evaluate it
Look left to right for any addition OR subtraction, if any is found evaluate it

The answer is 288.
ok i thought i was handicapped or something for not seeing 2 when i first did it. lots of people said 2 so i got confused and here i was stuck in a dilemma

but then why is everyone arguing against it? people keep saying if you put into calculator and get 288 CALCULATOR IS WRONG because it doesnt follow random theory mumbo jumbo
There's like 3 people who are say it's wrong, and their logic seems to rely on an incorrect understanding of Left-to-Right BIDMAS (Brackets, Indices, Division/Multiplication, Addiction/Subtraction)

Let me explain this:

48 / 2 * (9 + 3) = X
-Now, let's get rid of the B for Bracket
48 / 2 * 12 = X
-Now, Left to Right, let's first get rid of that division
24 * 12 = X
-Now, let's get rid of the final multiplication
288 = X

oh forget it's left to right on the last 2

fuuuuuuuck

lol jobless, order of operations

guys are you handicapped

48÷2(9+3)

by "DO PARENTHESIS FIRST" it means "SOLVE THE STUFF INSIDE THE PARENTHESIS FIRST" not make them go away.

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(12)

now we have 48 divided by 2, multiplied by 12. (if you notice, the 12 is just considered just a number now, so we don't even need the parenthesis.

48÷2x12

now you just do PEMDAS (M and D could be switched and A and S could be switched)

so 48÷2x12

24x12

okay, here's how to do this:
[im g]http://puu.sh/bG5rK/34e24c41dc.png[/img]

calculators don't follow order of operations
if i put in my calculator 6+3*2 with no brackets. i get 12. so whats that about calculators not following orders? if it didnt i would get 18

There's like 3 people who are say it's wrong, and their logic seems to rely on an incorrect understanding of Left-to-Right BIDMAS (Brackets, Indices, Division/Multiplication, Addiction/Subtraction)

Let me explain this:

48 / 2 * (9 + 3) = X
-Now, let's get rid of the B for Bracket
48 / 2 * 12 = X
-Now, Left to Right, let's first get rid of that division
24 * 12 = X
-Now, let's get rid of the final multiplication
288 = X
yeah i understand that but i just needed an explanation for the 2 thing if it was the right answer
never have i been taught that you do multiplication after the first division or something

waru i caught my mistake, chill

Please
Excuse
My
Dear
Aunt
Sally
parentheses
exponents
multiply
divide
add
subtract
48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
48÷24
=2

I hope I did that right

I think I did

waru i caught my mistake, chill

yeah, ik. it took long to type that and there were 4 posts after i started typing it, sorry.

ok for forgets sake
its not division then multiplication. its division & multiplication left to right
how do people not know this

well technically thats not true, blouk

its left to right when its div/mult

so the division would be done first

i got confused because I was also multiplying the parentheses instead of just solving the problem on the inside

if i put in my calculator 6+3*2 with no brackets. i get 12. so whats that about calculators not following orders? if it didnt i would get 18
calculators don't precisely calculate order of operations. they do it from left to right, not PEMDAS.

never have i been taught that you do multiplication after the first division or something
It's just about completing either a division or multiplication that comes first (since they're both essentially the same but with opposite results), and continuing to do them in order as you go from left to right.

lol setro got owned in the last topic

calculators don't precisely calculate order of operations. they do it from left to right, not PEMDAS.
explain or use an example because i dont ever recall having a situation on where my calculator was wrong now that i think about it