the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16227 times)

guys... i'm agreeing with you that it is 288, but I still think it's 2 from how I learned it. what more do you want

there's a conflict of interest; you agree it's 288 but from how you learned it, it is 2.

can't be both, yo

if you agree it's 288, then you're acknowledging that the way you learned it is incorrect, so that shouldn't be a factor anymore.

just apologize for causing a stir and move on
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:42:00 PM by ResonKinetic »

there's a conflict of interest; you agree it's 288 but from how you learned it, it is 2.

can't be both, yo
imagine it like this:
i walk into a restaurant and order the salad (288), instead of the chocolate cake (2), because I knew the salad would be the right thing to do, but I still would have liked the cake.

imagine it like this:
i walk into a restaurant and order the salad (288), instead of the chocolate cake (2), because I knew the salad would be the right thing to do, but I still would have liked the cake.

so you're saying you prefer an incorrect math problem because of sentiment

ggggggggggggggggggggg

so you're saying you prefer an incorrect math problem because of sentiment

ggggggggggggggggggggg
yes

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:46:25 PM by ResonKinetic »

imagine it like this:
That brown townogy is completely incorrect.

The restaurant is a subjective judgement. It's based on your own experiences and the environment you grew up in. Some people like salad, some like cake, some like both, some like neither. There is no one and all.

The maths question is objective. It has a truth based on the rules and standards that we as a society have come forward to create. There is no personal experience you use to judge the question, it's entirely based on factual evidence (i.e. what is present, how should these fit together)?

That brown townogy is completely incorrect.

The restaurant is a subjective judgement. It's based on your own experiences and the environment you grew up in. Some people like salad, some like cake, some like both, some like neither. There is no one and all.

The maths question is objective. It has a truth based on the rules and standards that we as a society have come forward to create. There is no personal experience you use to judge the question, it's entirely based on factual evidence (i.e. what is present, how should these fit together)?

as correct as you are, i think you should've settled for a reaction gif

as correct as you are, i think you should've settled for a reaction gif
I really wish I did :(

Thats just a loving poor written equation

Use a damn fraction bar and tell me whether the (9+3) is multiplied to the top or bottom

imagine it like this:
2 is the right answer... but it would always be 288 in my heart...

Wolfram says 288. I am decided.

2(12) is one number the same way 2(4) is 8

4 / 2(x) isnt 2x its 2/x, etc

4 / 2(x) isnt 2x its 2/x, etc
Um... No matter how you multiply this, it always comes out to be 2x.

well this thread just showed me that half of blf failed seventh grade math.