the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16198 times)

If you think its anything other than 288, you are simply wrong.

If you think its anything other than 288, you are simply wrong.
You sir are wrong, look on page 9.

"Depending on whether one interprets the expression as  (48/2)(9+3)  or as  48/(2(9+3))  one gets  288  or  2.  There is no standard convention as to which of these two ways the expression should be interpreted, so, in fact,  48/2(9+3)  is ambiguous.  To render it unambiguous, one should write it either as  (48/2)(9+3)  or  48/(2(9+3)).  This applies, in general, to any expression of the form  a/bc :  one needs to insert parentheses to show whether one means  (a/b)c  or  a/(bc). "
parentheses come first

parentheses come first

Read it again, it's ambiguous meaning one needs to put in parenthesis to show whether it comes out as 2 or 188 there is no inbetween,
solution = the maths equation is incomplete.

it has to be two.

i'm guessing people forget up after they finish 9+3

48÷2(12)

you gotta remove the damn parenthesis
48÷24
its two.

You sure did, because it's 288.

You remove the parenthesis, and then DIVIDE since it's the first of the multiplication/division operations in the equation. Then you finally multiply the two remaining numbers.

Honestly, if you punch these numbers into a virtual graphing calculator, you'll get 288.

it has to be two.

48÷2(12)

you gotta remove the damn parenthesis
48÷24
its two.

You would only multiply two and twelve if 2(12) was in parentheses. Otherwise you solve the equation straight across. Order of operations does not apply at this point because multiplication and division are considered equal, same can be said about addition and subtraction. You don't do 2(12) first because "pemdas" says so, you solve the equation from left to right.

Go back to elementary school kid.

Since I see plenty of asshattedness about this I'm just gonna stick with 2.

I don't see why people would still say 2 at this point.

2x(9+3)=24
48/24=2
There's your answer.

I don't see why people would still say 2 at this point.
i've incidentally yet to see a real calculator say 2

2x(9+3)=24
48/24=2
There's your answer.
brother ARE YOU ACTUALLY

Yeah...

Its to do with the way calculations are worked out, America used PEMDAS, England uses BODMAS (division before multiplication), but we work out whats in the brackets (parenthesis?) first.
brother ARE YOU ACTUALLY
Yes. It is how I was taught to do this kind of calculation, so that is my answer.