the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 15936 times)

We need a poll of 288 vs 2 (288 master race)
this is like if the whole world was full of blue people entirely and nobody else, and you said "blue people master race"

I think the problem for some people (not necessarily the ones here) is that people believe the parenthesis are like this entirely new country, so we have to treat them as something special.

The parenthesis just represent a number, and the number is the value of whatever lies inside the parenthesis. It's a theoretical number until you solve it. It's basically what much of using functions in many programming languages is like.

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2*12
24*12

It's not freaking 2

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2*12
24*12

It's not freaking 2
you're bad

sigh

8 is the same as 2(4)

this is like saying that 16/2(4) is 32, not 2

sigh

8 is the same as 2(4)

But that is 32...?
I doubt a TI calculator would lie.

you've got the first two parts right. MD and AS are both sets. but their order is not M -> D -> A -> S, it is M/D (left to right) -> A/S (left to right)

Actually, the answer is not possible, In New Zealand we use BEDMAS, Division then Multiplication. Whereas in America you guys use PEMDAS.

Any question that resolves around two people who use entirely different order of operations will always have two or more answers.

Actually, the answer is not possible, In New Zealand we use BEDMAS, Division then Multiplication. Whereas in America you guys use PEMDAS.
Any question that resolves around two people who use entirely different order of operations will always have two or more answers.
as soon as you show me a computer that gives the answer 2, then I will take what you're saying with more than a grain of salt

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)

From here, we go left to right, doing operations as we come to them.

48÷2(12)
24 * 12

Actually, in both cases, D/M are a SET, as are A/S, so the order is irrelevant.

sigh

8 is the same as 2(4)

If you mean it like 16 over 2(8) as a fraction, then yes, it equals 2. By based on the order of operations, 48÷2(12) equals 288. Between division and multiplication and the order of operations, neither multiplication nor division goes first all the time; it's simply a matter of left to right.

sigh

8 is the same as 2(4)

It is 32.

I cannot fathom why you don't understand the concept of left and right. You've been reading English all your life, correct?

"Depending on whether one interprets the expression as  (48/2)(9+3)  or as  48/(2(9+3))  one gets  288  or  2.  There is no standard convention as to which of these two ways the expression should be interpreted, so, in fact,  48/2(9+3)  is ambiguous.  To render it unambiguous, one should write it either as  (48/2)(9+3)  or  48/(2(9+3)).  This applies, in general, to any expression of the form  a/bc :  one needs to insert parentheses to show whether one means  (a/b)c  or  a/(bc). "

http://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

There you go, tadaa.

It is 32.

I cannot fathom why you don't understand the concept of left and right. You've been reading English all your life, correct?
No I am muslim. (kek)

Let's just call it the average and call it a day. So it's 145.

lets just say BOTH so we can stop ARGUING