the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16234 times)

its two because you multiply before you divide you loving twat
They're both the same operation but in reverse order, just like Addiction/Subtraction.

Therefore, you can treat them as the same while scanning for what operation you need to complete first, left to right.

You have been taught wrong, and I really recommend you look at the Internet and study how many other ways your education has failed you.

that's how I've always learned it
its the universal standard that its PEM&DA&S (or at least some form of that like bodmas or bedmas)

You people are tearing eachother apart over a maths problem that was designed to have no one true answer
You do realize that, right?

PEMDAS is morally wrong

go left to right simplify then modify
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:23:02 PM by otto-san »

ITT: People who want to stir stuff up.

I really recommend you look at the Internet and study how many other ways your education has failed you.
i really recommend you quit acting like it's such a serious topic. 2 pages ago we discovered, "oh it's 288 but some think it's 2". does it really matter? the questions been answered and the only reason why this topic is still going is because people keep arguing with me just because my teacher was a loving idiot. looking at the internet won't help me you loving handicap. i'm looking at it right now, and I see people agreeing with me, your point is..? also, don't falsely accuse my education of failing me. boo hoo I got one algebraic equation wrong, why don't you hurl your script of insults at me.

i really recommend you quit acting like it's such a serious topic. 2 pages ago we discovered, "oh it's 288 but some think it's 2". does it really matter? the questions been answered and the only reason why this topic is still going is because people keep arguing with me just because my teacher was a loving idiot. looking at the internet won't help me you loving handicap. i'm looking at it right now, and I see people agreeing with me, your point is..? also, don't falsely accuse my education of failing me. boo hoo I got one algebraic equation wrong, why don't you hurl your script of insults at me.
de_stroyed

also, don't falsely accuse my education of failing me. boo hoo I got one algebraic equation wrong, why don't you hurl your script of insults at me.
If your teacher has taught you incorrect things then that is by definition your education failing you.

You have to think about it like this:

((48/2)(12)) or ((48÷2)(12))

(24)(12)=288

Left ---> Right, or rather, simplify everything in the lowest parentheses and go up from there, simplifying until you get to the point where you are unable to simplify the problem.

GEMA or PEMDAS is used, but most people should use GEMA because of Grouping ((),[], AND radicals), Exponents (^x), Multiplication/Division, and finally Addition/Subtraction.

tl;dr i got the question wrong  :cookieMonster:
yeah hahahaa I did didn't I !!??? throw rocks at me, call me names, I got one loving problem wrong that I did in my head at 11pm. everyone has mistakes and I have my wide share of mistakes. don't act like your pretty and perfect because you outsmarted me on a 7th grade algebraic equation you dolt.

If your teacher has taught you incorrect things then that is by definition your education failing you.
multiple teachers have taught me order of operations, some right, one wrong, so technically it didn't.

freek its ok, really

let it go

you always multiply before you divide why is this a question?

i was taught multiplication/division and addition/subtraction don't overrule eachother, just m/d before a/s and go from left to right

yeah hahahaa I did didn't I !!??? throw rocks at me, call me names, I got one loving problem wrong that I did in my head at 11pm. everyone has mistakes and I have my wide share of mistakes. don't act like your pretty and perfect because you outsmarted me on a 7th grade algebraic equation you dolt.
Look at the "Post Pictures of Yourself" thread and the "So Australia..." thread. In the past 40 minutes I've made a moron of myself twice, maybe more, and if you look through my post history I've done it plenty more times.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, and not once did I call you names or "throw rocks at you". I'm just in disbelief how heavily you're fighting over this (and don't lie, you were fighting your side of the argument) when the logic doesn't stack up.

this sounds like a really simple problem

you guys don't suck for getting it wrong (whoever did), but you suck for arguing about it.