the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16213 times)

four divided by 2x is 2/x

I genuinely don't understand where anyone's getting 2

I'm sorry but this isn't even hard

well this thread just showed me that half of blf failed seventh grade math.
this
I'm sorry but this isn't even hard
and this

I genuinely don't understand where anyone's getting 2

PEMDAS. Apparently some 5th grade teachers failed to mention it's not EXACTLY in that order, it's Parentheses then Exponents but Multiplication and Division go together and it's from left to right, multiplication doesn't go first unless it's the furthest to the left which some people don't get seem to understand. Same with adding and subtracting.

-misinterpretation-
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:11:22 AM by BluetoothBoy »

When you have a number directly against a parentheses like that, it's multiplied across the entire contents of the parentheses. THESE DO NOT BECOME SEPARATE UNTIL IT IS DIVIDED BY THE ADJACENT NUMBER OR MULTIPLIED OUT VIA THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY.
im pretty sure distributive property only applies to addition of fractions m8
no wait thats some other math bullstuff

what institution did you go to this is not a thing
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:56:15 PM by Jubel »

When you have a number directly against a parentheses like that, it's multiplied across the entire contents of the parentheses.
not in this case
wait, yes. in this case. but 2*9 + 2*3 gives you exactly the same answer as 2 * (9+3) so idk what the point was in mentioning that lol

My TI-84 plus says 288, my manual solving on paper gives me 288, I'm gonna say it's 288.
PEMDAS is very flawed in this case.

it is not. the teachers who taught it, on the other hand, were

not in this case
wait, yes. in this case. but 2*9 + 2*3 gives you exactly the same answer as 2 * (9+3) so idk what the point was in mentioning that lol
I mentioned it because some people were separating them like so: (48/2)*(9+3)

My TI-84 plus says 288, my manual solving on paper gives me 288, I'm gonna say it's 288.
How, exactly, do you enter it on your calculator? It is possible it's misinterpreting it.

People seem to forget that multiplication/division and addition/subtraction have the same priority, and it is done left to right. So it's (48/2)*12

48/2(9+3) can be rewritten as:

48           24          24   
-------- = -------- = ------ = 2
2(9+3)     (9+3)       12

Wrong. The problem would actually be rewritten as

--- (9+3)=24(12)=288

You change the meaning of the problem itself when you separate it the way you did. The parentheses are applied to the entire equation, not just the part it's next to.