the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?

Poll

48÷2(9+3) = ?

20 (25.3%)
38 (48.1%)
meth not even once
21 (26.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: the math apocalypse: 48÷2(9+3) = ?  (Read 16233 times)

no that's obvious

i mean if there's more than one pair of parentheses
if there are parenthesis then as long as you do the innermost parenthesis first it doesn't matter if you do them left to right as far as i know

mkay

i mean i should've figured that it wouldn't matter either way since parentheses are just done first anyway

Ugh no, it's not ambiguous... You do it from left to right, because multiplication and division are of the same precedence. The parenthesis here are IMPLIED because of that rule: (48/2)(9+3)
No it's ambiguous because the person that wrote the formula didn't make his intentions on how to calculate it clear.
And where are you getting this rule? From the order of operations?

The person who wrote the equation could have mean't to write: 48/(2(9+3))
or: (48/2)(9+3)

If the person would have written 48 / 2 * 9 + 3 and it would have been even more ambiguous.

Considering you don't know the intentions of the person and the equation is ambiguous, it has multiple answers.

I dont care what the intentions are, if its written a certain way, thats how i'm going to solve it. Im not going to add in extra parenthesis just out of speculation.

No it's ambiguous because the person that wrote the formula didn't make his intentions on how to calculate it clear.
And where are you getting this rule? From the order of operations?
1. How you calculate an equation does not change depending on the "intentions" of the person who made it
2. Yes. Order of operations is as follows:
Parenthesis
Exponentiation
Multiplication and Division (the and is important)
Addition and Subtraction (the and is important)

The and means when you're scanning the equation for operations to evaluate, you do them from left to right. So 1 - 1 + 1 = (1 - 1) + 1 = 1 because you do the subtraction before the addition, because neither operation has precedence over the other and therefore you do whichever comes first when you're scanning left to right.

I dont care what the intentions are, if its written a certain way, thats how i'm going to solve it. Im not going to add in extra parenthesis just out of speculation.
Then it's up to the person that wrote the equation to make his intentions clear or else the equation becomes ambiguous and this is what happens.

There's still multiple solutions to the problem.
1. How you calculate an equation does not change depending on the "intentions" of the person who made it
2. Yes. Order of operations is as follows:
Parenthesis
Exponentiation
Multiplication and Division (the and is important)
Addition and Subtraction (the and is important)

The and means when you're scanning the equation for operations to evaluate, you do them from left to right. So 1 - 1 + 1 = (1 - 1) + 1 = 1 because you do the subtraction before the addition, because neither operation has precedence over the other and therefore you do whichever comes first when you're scanning left to right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9h1oqv21Vs

The person who wrote the equation could have meant to write: 48/(2(9+3))
or: (48/2)(9+3)

but that's not the case

they wrote it the way they did so it should be solved as is

This video proves my point... I don't think you actually watched it. Or read my post.

lol

ggggggg aides you dug yourself a hole

again, this all just goes back to being sentimental about possibilities.

"oh i think he intended it to be solved this way so i think it should be solved multiple ways"

BS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:39:35 AM by ResonKinetic »

This video proves my point... I don't think you actually watched it. Or read my post.
I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying there is multiple answers because PEDMAS is bad.
The equation the OP has specified has multiple answers.

Your point is only using one way to solve it, what are you trying to say?
That it's the only way to solve any equation?

It's 288. I just took drastic measures and texted my old calc professor about this. I made a fool of myself because the equation is ridiculously easy, but it ends any remaining arguments that the answer is 2.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying there is multiple answers because PEDMAS is bad.

every calculator ever solves it the same way and so should you because there's only one answer.

so yes

go take a make-up exam

The way many people, including you it seems, were taught order of operations, is wrong.
You don't do multiplication before division and you don't do addition before subtraction.

For every equation with no variables in it (unless you're doing some freaky stuff with negative square roots) there is only 1 correct answer. It only has one answer because the correct way of evaluating it avoids ambiguity by specifying that you do things left to right, and that certain operators have equal precedence.

wtf is PEDMAS we canadias here use BEDMAS
though I think the only difference is instead of calling them parenthesis we just call them "brackets"

every calculator ever solves it the same way and so should you because there's only one answer.

so yes

go take a make-up exam
every calculator solve it the same way because it assumes the person wanted it solved the way it is written.

but maybe the person did not and that's why it's ambiguous.

I'm not saying your answer is wrong, I'm saying it's one of the multiple ways of solving it, doesn't mean the answer is right.
The way many people, including you it seems, were taught order of operations, is wrong.
You don't do multiplication before division and you don't do addition before subtraction.

For every equation with no variables in it (unless you're doing some freaky stuff with negative square roots) there is only 1 correct answer. It only has one answer because the correct way of evaluating it avoids ambiguity by specifying that you do things left to right, and that certain operators have equal precedence.
Yes I know all of this, I'm simply saying the equation is ambigious and PEDMAS gives you a way to solve it without bothering yourself of the ambiguity.

And for my statement that there is multiple ways to solve this I never said they where right I was just saying that because it's ambiguous.
Sorry for causing confusion