Author Topic: 9 people shot dead in church in South Charleston  (Read 6289 times)

I didn't realize the media was a single, monolithic entity hell bent on misleading the American public.
They're not.  This would be assuming that the "entity" known as the media is more like a political party, which owes its allegiance and draws its power from supporters.  Unlike a political entity, media outlets are not obligated to any level of loyalty to the "American public."  Sensationalist journalism's paramount objective, as Harm mentioned, is to gain capital from viewers and supporters, in this case, telling groups of people what they want to hear.

That's a great point. Here's a solution. Thinking about what they say, looking at different sources, and making up your own opinion from what you think is reasonable from each source is the solution. I have no pity or sympathy for people who only look at one news source and decide that it's correct.
That's not so easy because even after the news outlets omitted certain details, you'd then be leaving people to pick and choose how they think the story should be told.  That accomplishes the exact same thing.

They're not.  This would be assuming that the "entity" known as the media is more like a political party, which owes its allegiance and draws its power from supporters.  Unlike a political entity, media outlets are not obligated to any level of loyalty to the "American public."  Sensationalist journalism's paramount objective, as Harm mentioned, is to gain capital from viewers and supporters, in this case, telling groups of people what they want to hear.
Then that's the viewer's fault. Creating a complete media "blackout" of all these events will do nothing to remedy people's foolishness or idiocy.

That's not so easy because even after the news outlets omitted certain details, you'd then be leaving people to pick and choose how they think the story should be told.  That accomplishes the exact same thing.
So most people are stupid, irrational animals who are quick to believe what appeals to them? That I agree with.

Then that's the viewer's fault. Creating a complete media "blackout" of all these events will do nothing to remedy people's foolishness or idiocy.

there are ways to tell news without sensationalizing them and covering the same thing all day

there are ways to tell news without sensationalizing them and covering the same thing all day
And how will a media blackout solve that?

And how will a media blackout solve that?
You missed the part where Harm pointed out exactly what he wanted the media to do.

Can the media stop talking things related to white privilege, racism, police corruption/brutality, gamergate, etc. Lately it seems like the news has been on rewind and replay over and over and over. Just for month or something.

Why are you faulting the people when it's the media giving out misinformation?  You're giving them too much credibility.

So most people are stupid, irrational animals who are quick to believe what appeals to them? That I agree with.
Based on your left-field claims that anyone even vaguely referred to a complete media blackout, I'll second that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:45:25 PM by Maelstrom »

You missed the part where Harm pointed out exactly what he wanted the media to do.

Yeah- stop talking about racism and police brutality. De facto censorship of said topics.  Literally "stop talking about" those topics. How will that solve sensationalist media?

Marginalization and sensationalism have been issues for a long time, they still are, and still will be for a long time.  The media uses omission and then blows their fabricated situation out of proportion by making it a bigger issue than it is.  This is how it has been for a while.

Unfortunately, the right of "Freedom of Speech" has also been blown out of proportion.  Many people use it as an excuse to say what they want to say and can say it uninhibited, even though the original intent was to prevent the incrimination of speaking out against the government.  Even though the right to speak one's mind is indeed nice for those that have the mind to speak sense, some also have the mind to speak nonsense, and some people, sometimes a lot of people believe that.  Censorship isn't just some big boogeyman that is out for everyone—sometimes it's necessary to prevent sensationalism and to prevent naïvité.

I realized I forgot to answer your question.  The problem is that according the the Constitution/Bill of Rights, the press cannot be meddled with.  So for now, nothing can be done until that is addressed.  The difficult part is deciding where the media is safest.  If privatized, it can exist solely for monotonization.  If publicized, it can become corrupt, being the voice of the ruling party very quickly.  If privatized, but under moderation, it can fall to either side easily.  It's not issue that can be solved so easily.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:12:11 PM by Maelstrom »

This is Dylann Roof's manifesto, it is a bit over the place since he wrote it in a hurry, but it's worth a look if a killer's mind is interesting to you.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:29:28 PM by {L} »

This is Dylann Roof's manifesto, it is a bit over the place since he wrote it in a hurry, but it's worth a look if a killer's mind is interesting to you.

Only skimmed through it really, but wow, what a nut job.

I see a surprising amount of this same rhetoric on the internet, about time someone actually carried it out.

I just hope he enjoys spending the rest of his miserable pathetic life in solitary confinement.

last Rhodesian? This guy definitely browsing /pol/ and /k/, or he use to read the soldier of fortune magazine.

Media: As you know, these have been issues and they will be issues for a long time. The media seems to be over reporting this stuff. The number of actual times police brutality and corruption that occurs in a single police department is probably occurs every so often and usually do by one or a few people at least, an the number of corrupt officers and actions is dwarfed by the rest who are just doing their job. Yet the media takes all these stories from nowhere small town pd to big city pd and reports on them just about every month. What is probably just a few drops into the bucket they make it look like the number of brutalities is going up.

There are people who all over the web who say things like "cops are out of control" and "Cops are going wild!". All sorts of ignorant statements. These guys have these rose tinted glasses and think that every use to be fine and dandy until 9/11 happened and police became "militarized".

You got propaganda like this going around. I'd say the police were just as corrupt back in the day. One of my professors said they use to have cop, he go around beat up and demand they call him sir. In that world, it was just something that happened. In today's word that is completely unacceptable. Later on when my professor became a cop himself in 80s and the chief said that if anyone hit them that the officers were to make sure that they were in the hospital. Again stuff like that does not fly in todays word.

Did you know that a few months ago in April there were riots in south Africa over immigration? Africans beating up other Africans telling them to go home and only BBC seemed to noticed, apparently only Americans are xenophobic when it comes to immigration. Even the EU is using a military coalition to stop refugees in Africa from crossing over into Europe. But I guess it's only bad when we do it.

Also remember Ebola? Only a few people got sick from it and the media had people scared like we were about to enter some sort of apocalypse and yet no one died from it in the US. The media did the same thing with  Sars, Swine Flu, bird flu, H1N1, etc. Over exaggerated, overblown, all for click revenue.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:45:15 PM by Harm94 »

Looks like a killer mushroom

dylann roof: hey guys im tribal as stuff

fox news: why do they keep pulling the race card

dylann roof: i hate black people

fox news: this is clearly an attack on faith

Thank you, Harm.  It's always a pleasure reading your arguments.

i have spliced together all the photos in the real life pictures of yourself thread and this is what i got

scary stuff

i have spliced together all the photos in the real life pictures of yourself thread and this is what i got

scary stuff

2spooky4me