Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 100217 times)

Looks Bootiful! I'd be happy to test it!
All testing slots are currently full. =/

I won't be able to finish PTG by Christmas Eve as I had hoped; I thought it would be best to take my time in finishing / polishing it rather than rushing to finish the add-on this week. I also was delayed by some issues that needed to be resolved. However, the GUIs are basically done - aside from changing a few graphics and adding an option to resize them. Progress was also made with the Help GUI:

Clicking any of the question mark buttons included for each category in the GUI will open up this dialog, along with short descriptions of each option for that category and a link to the particular YouTube video tutorial segment (once recorded and uploaded) that will go into more detail about those options. =)

I honestly think this adding could change Blockland as a whole

It definitely will, it'll make blockland less of an empty slate and more of an interesting environment to go in and build on

i guess you could say that this could become the replacement for the old terrain

only more versatile and configurable

I honestly think this adding could change Blockland as a whole

Is there a way to select specific modter prints for each type of surface? (steep ramps, gradual ramps, flat, etc)

Is there a way to select specific modter prints for each type of surface? (steep ramps, gradual ramps, flat, etc)
I don't believe it supports options for that at the moment.

Not for variations in slopes, but you can change the prints for different features in the landscape (i.e. grass prints for terrain above water, sand for terrain at the edge of water, a different print for terrain below water, as well as for mountains, clouds, floating islands, and more. Usually when using modular terrain, all the slopes are the same - depending on the brick size you use, so you could just change the prints when using different ModTer bricks.

I'll be posting another update soon! Right now I'm working on finishing GUI previewing of landscapes, increasing the estimated brick count accuracy for previews, and fixing issues with build loading. Also, thanks to The Resonte! for his recent build submission. If anyone else has builds to submit for PTG's final release, feel free to send them in!

It has been working flawlessly for me. Taking a look at the code today.

Finally got around to trying this more. If you teamed with Badspot & Rotondo (chance: highly unlikely) and added this to the game, it could change a LOT of things and make Blockland a whole lot cooler.

If you teamed with Badspot & Rotondo (chance: highly unlikely) and added this to the game, it could change a LOT of things and make Blockland a whole lot cooler.
This becoming default is not unlikely. GSFs ModTerrain bricks also became default.
But even if it doesn't, nobody will mind.
The duplicator is also not default and almost every server has it.

We'll find a way.

Finally got around to trying this more. If you teamed with Badspot & Rotondo (chance: highly unlikely) and added this to the game, it could change a LOT of things and make Blockland a whole lot cooler.
If this was properly integrated in the engine, it could be 10 times more powerful. Imagine a combination of blockland and lego worlds...

Too bad that's never going to happen.

I think the current ui is way too complex and overwhelming for this to become default.

Hello, I would like to be a tester for this mod. This would seemingly go well with my zombie servers.

It has been working flawlessly for me. Taking a look at the code today.
Great, if y'all get the chance, I could use help in making sure other players receive center print messages from the generator - for instance, if they try hammering terrain, attempt to destroy public bricks, etc. (for both normal and dedicated servers).

I was working on a Brick Planting Costs Points script a while back, and noticed that whenever someone tried to plant a brick but didn't have enough points to "buy" the brick, I would get the center print message instead of that player. I'm hoping to make sure that doesn't happen with PTG.

This becoming default is not unlikely. GSFs ModTerrain bricks also became default.
But even if it doesn't, nobody will mind.
The duplicator is also not default and almost every server has it.

We'll find a way.
That would be awesome if it became default. I think Badspot would only be open if it was shown to enhance the game, especially with game modes; that's how the Modular Terrain bricks became default. It all depends though, I'm sure he would prefer small-scaled add-ons.

If this was properly integrated in the engine, it could be 10 times more powerful. Imagine a combination of blockland and lego worlds...

Too bad that's never going to happen.

I think the current ui is way too complex and overwhelming for this to become default.
Before working on version 3 of PTG, I was working on a project for the Unity Engine, and learned how to make a really efficient generator. If Badspot or Rotondo were open, the generator could be rewritten in C# (or C++, which ever the engine uses). I'm not an expert on how the game's brick system works - other than knowing it groups meshes together an utilizes an octree system, but terrain could be handled as large mesh / collision objects per chunk, rather than as individual bricks. This would make the generator much faster, and allow for even larger, more detailed landscapes.

Also, I can bring back the Simplex GUI, which I was planning on adding in the past. It works like the Main / Complex GUI, except leaves out the in-depth options:

Hello, I would like to be a tester for this mod. This would seemingly go well with my zombie servers.
All slots are full, but the add-ons release is very close.