How to really stop my brother's videogame addiction?

Author Topic: How to really stop my brother's videogame addiction?  (Read 4774 times)

He's 17 or 18 years old. If he chooses that he wants to collect fat, collect a neckbeard, and play video games, he can do that.
Don't treat him like a child with parental control. Talk to him about it and leave it at that. I know you care for him.

And if he refuses treat him like a child and use Cold Turkey.

Turn off the internt or uninstall steam from the computer

Turn off the internt or uninstall steam from the computer
or do both at the same time

Normally if I were in that situation I would just let him do whatever he wants and ignore him. But since it's affecting other people maybe you should take some action. Take the power cord and hide it. Do not act suspicious if he confronts you about it. If he buys a new one then hide that one too

turn off internet at night

download this virus to his laptop or some other virus that will destroy the computer

The ultimate punishment.

Let him continue,it will ruin his life at the end.

Actually what you want to do is to uninstall Far Cry 4(And other games) and block the internet. Say its a virus that blocked it and deleted his games.

Actually what you want to do is to uninstall Far Cry 4(And other games) and block the internet. Say its a virus that blocked it and deleted his games.
With how stupid he's acting he would probably believe it too

everyone talking about removing or limiting his computer privileges obviously don't know what they're doing. Its not like you can just remove everything and expect him to adapt to whatever else there is to do. he'll be their problem now and it will be even harder to deal with him

I've done something for my uncle when something similar occured. Open the PSU, cut ONE of the cables going from the plug to the board and install a killswitch in it. Of course, don't leave the switch in the PSU. Make the cables go outside and back in. He will have no idea what's wrong.

Cut off the internet or power and some stuff, make it look like an accident or random event.

And take him outside to battle with sticks.

And woop his bitch ass.

Are you trying to help your brother? Do you care for your brother? Do you love your brother?

If you do, making him see the error of his ways will help him in the long run.

Rehab

Give him a limit, like wifi restriction.

I've decided the best course of action would be to just try to get him to see the consequences of his actions, and show how people do when they don't try to play videogames 24/7. I might find a way to artificially make him see those consequences, but deliberate attempts just makes him shut down any sort of contact with reason or reality.

I can write a script, fully open-sourced to disable games of your/parents choice. This will make it so any game he tries to play that is blocked, will require a password of your/parents choice.
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was considering your idea, but I realized just cutting him off would make things worse, as he will remain stubborn and maybe get worse. Trogtor sums it up nicely.
However, thank you very much for your offer. I will certainly keep it in mind in case I find the current method doesn't work.

Try to get him to join you in fun things like a game of bball or riding a bike