Author Topic: "Block Trek" Star Trek Megathread - Toy Enterprise Model  (Read 65201 times)

Block Trek Random/Fun Screenshots #2

Hey guys, back with some nice fun screenshots to look at while interior work and nacelle work slowly continues. I went and took some cool cross-section shots of the upper decks of the ship (as well as that of the bridge), and some other random screenshots have been thrown in as well. Hope you enjoy!

I've been having to use my dad's small Enterprise model to help with some details on the nacelles. Also, have a sneak-peek at something I just finished on the saucer ;)

I did a really neat side cutaway view of the ship. See how small I am standing in the picture here? The ship is huge!

Cutaway deck plan view of Deck 1, on top of the engineering hull.

Deck 2 deck plan view

Top-down view of Deck 3

Deck 4

Deck 5

Deck 6

Cutaway deck plan view of the Bridge on Deck 9

Me and some friends on the bridge

A closer look at the cross-section, in the engineering hull area. Recall that this ship has 14 decks!

Meanwhile on the USS Porthos (Greyhound class)...

Magus in the Captain's chair

"Definitely something out there, Captain, heading this way."

Th-th-that's all for now folks~
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:29:07 PM by Planr »

And I was just wondering if this project was still going or not haha

Absolutely incredible work Planr! Those cross-sections are quite a sight to see
jeeps tho

jeeps tho
Well, when life doesnt give you shuttlecraft vehicles... make flying wheeled jeeps  :panda:

goddamn, I really love the little ecology room. bridge looks awesome too, I like that you didn't clutter it up with ridiculous amounts of screens and buttons. too many ships suffer from needless technological noise. I've got to explore this ship sometime.

haha excellent animated image you got there. I strongly urge everybody to check out the USS Lionheart when they get the opportunity. there is so much detail without needless clutter. everything feels thoroughly planned out and well put together. it's impressive as heck. really enjoyed walking through it the other day. :)

tho WATCH OUT FOR NASABOY 3000 he ALWAYS up to something

Guess what's coming next ;)

So Modular Terrain Planets will be used for the official Block Trek RPs, and I also plan to release a planetary template (all default bricks) for public use, for fun, for everyone.
These modter planets are designed after the same spirit as the planets from Reactor Worker's old v20 Planets/Solar System map. Currently I only have one size completed (640-stud diameter planet), but I plan to do a larger size of planet later on (1024 [64x16]) to act as a gas giants, and a smaller size of planet (384 [64x6]) to act as moons and dwarfs.

I am well aware there is a StaticMap structure of Earth already available for use as a planet, and it is beautiful. However, it does not adequately meet my needs for the RP, as when that day comes, we will be exploring a large variety of different planets. As there is only one StaticShape planet design available, and it is stuck in a fixed location on the map and cannot be customized, I am not going to use it. Furthermore, static shapes have to be manually cleared and loaded in by admins, which would mean the ship could not properly experience warp travel when admins are AFK (the ship "warps out" but the planet stays, as it must be manually cleared).

I was hoping to have interior-see-out-only atmospheres for the planet, but that - though doable - is a bad option, as it requires making the outside of the planet have FX paint on it (with the inside using invisible paint), thus rendering most of the planet invisible to anyone viewing it from behind a window on an orbiting ship.
Instead, I have elected to simply have an atmosphere sky interior to the planet that is a blue color with glow FX paint added to it. It looks well with shaders off, however I am planning to reconfigure it to look best with shaders (minimum setting) on. Weather is created with emitters on large cubes suspended inside the "sky dome". The one advantage to having interior atmosphere effect is that making alien planet atmospheres is easy, and also conforms to the TOS feel.

With the gracious intervention of Conan, we now are able to clear and load specific saves through events. This is the most vital component to the ships' simulated warp drive, which is one step closer to reality thanks to Conan's work. The only event remaining to help complete the simulated warp drive system is an environment loader event, which will allow the sky to change in-game whenever a warp jump takes place.

The largest problem at the moment however, in regard to the planets, is their performance when clearing bricks. In case anyone hasn't discovered already, ModTer lags like crap when being cleared, and I have observed that it can sometimes even crash people's games/cause them to time out. So far when the planet template is cleared, it causes the game to freeze for approximately 11 seconds. That is something that will have to be dealt with when the day comes for RPs to occur, because such 11-second freezes can cause players serious discomfort. I will try to pass this off in the RPs as simply like a "loading screen" when warping out of star systems, much akin to the game-freezing loads in Half Life 1.

I am hopeful Conan may find a way to reduce this lag when clearing modter, but we will see. For now, thank you for following the development of Block Trek.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:24:59 AM by Planr »

If you show me that static shape planet mod I could probably have it fully customizable in a day or less.

The lag when modter is cleared is an issue with the OctTree system and can't be fixed with Torquescript afaik.

ModTer Planet - Starbase 15 - Alpha Pictures #1

Modterrain planet template is finished now!

This planet is from now on going to be known as Starbase 15. In future Block Trek RPs, it will be the central hub location for the USS Lionheart and her crew.

On to pictures :)

This is the planet as seen from "high orbit". It is 640 studs in diameter (sounds small, but it has plenty of room inside). The planet is designed in the same spirit as the planets from Reactor Worker's old "Planets" map from pre-v21 Blockland. Here you can see all the continents painted on. For the record, THIS IS NOT EARTH!

A "beauty" shot of the exterior. The planet has a fairly simple ModTer design on the exterior. I decided to try to keep as low a ModTer brickcount as possible, as they cause extreme lag when clearing, so the fewer I use the better. The unfortunate side effect of that is the low "resolution" for painting continents and other surface features on the planet.

The planet has an "interior" as how Reactor Worker's planets did. The atmosphere inside is shut off from the outside vacuum of space, and is made to look like an actual sky, using glow effects and cloud particle emitters. This is as good as I could get it to work.
By the way, you can land on the planet by flying through the top hemisphere, crossing through the "atmosphere", after which you can land on the ground.

Here I am, standing on the surface.

The planet can also be "blown up", thanks to the use of mininuke explosions on the several hundred named 2x2 bricks supporting the joints of the modter cubes on the outside.
Yes, you are seeing an actual planet being blown up in Blockland. There's a first for everything :)

Global apocalypse

The USS Porthos (Greyhound class) assuming a standard orbit around Starbase 15.

The (hilariously nacelle-less) USS Lionheart in standard orbit of Starbase 15.

I am very glad this ModTer planet has come through as well as it has. More updates to come soon :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:21:52 PM by Planr »

I am impressed by how well the modter planet is, considering it has 2000 bricks.

10/10 work

That number of mini-nuke explosions would make my laptop cry though lol
Certainly does look amazing, though.

And really nice use of modTer for the planets. I've honestly never thought of using them for that.
I'm looking forward to seeing any bases you come up with.

It's probably worth mentioning that 64x modter causes a disproportionate amount of lag when cleared compared to the smaller ones, so the low resolution terrain would cause more lag than higher resolution terrain.

But what about the constant lag? Wouldn't the lower resolution bricks be better in that area?
If they aren't then they seriously need some fixing.