Author Topic: Any RTS games where you can play as a unit?  (Read 2693 times)

I know there's probably very very little out there but I was wondering if you guys knew of any? Executive Assault on steam has it in the Executron beta but that's the only one I know of.
I like the idea of just being a tiny soldier amidst all the chaos of ai commanders pitting war against each-other with multiple different units while getting resources and stuff

i vaguely remember spring letting you play as a unit, but i havent touched that in like 8 years

MAG probably feels like that lol
but I doubt anyone still plays it

Army men, 1, 2, toys in space.

Renegade is a C&C spin-off FPS game...but there's no commander and only prebuilt bases, so it's just an FPS

Nuclear Dawn maybe? It's on sale on steam for $2

Executive Assault is pretty neat-o.

EDIT: Whoops you've already mentioned that one.

Renegade is a C&C spin-off FPS game...but there's no commander and only prebuilt bases, so it's just an FPS
Aww man, I miss my copy of C&C: Renegade.

It was so old, and so badly looked after, that when I put it in my computer after not using it for about 2 years, and it not having a case, it literally exploded in the disc drive.

My mum and dad spent so long pulling fragments of disc out of the computer.

A really old game I can recall is "Machines".

Men of War Assault Squad 1 & 2 both let you take direct control of any unit you call in

I'm gonna be that one memester that says "any MOBA". :^)

LEGO Star Wars III has an RTS mode iirc

LEGO Star Wars III has an RTS mode iirc
It's very very samey, and very very simplified, however.

running with rifles feels sorta like that, except there's no actual commander (just an ai commander that gives you general directions) and nothing in the way of resources (for a team; there are individual resources) or basebuilding

there was also a game called Smite i think that was literally what you wanted, but i think it's so dead you can't even find anything about it on the internet anymore; i only know it exists because i have a physical copy

Aww man, I miss my copy of C&C: Renegade
There was a project to remake it on... Unreal engine I believe.
I don't know how it's progressed

Edit: http://renegade-x.com

Theres CnC:Sole Survivor. Its basically command and conquer but you play as a unit battling other people who are units.

The only problem is that there are no servers.