The SuperKart Gamemode

Author Topic: The SuperKart Gamemode  (Read 51453 times)

I'm sorry, but this just feels like a massive downgrade from speedkart. Its just so messy in execution. I'm going to keep this as constructive as possible. Assuming this was supposed to be a step up from SpeedKart, it takes one step forward and two steps back.

What I like
  • The idea, I think having more then one way to go around the map is a neat idea, and having it in a lap format is a cool idea.
  • It feels better then speedkart fluidity wise.
  • The lap system is a cool idea.

What I don't.
  • Having music in this is a really bad idea. Turning it off or not its annoying to have because every round you hear the same song over and over and over again and its so annoying. Switching it up would be smarter. What I mean is that you should have something play next round different to at least change things up.
  • I doubt there are non default maps in this state, but on metaknights server there was this Halloween themed map, it was absolute hell with shaders. Due to the lack of lighting in an area, its impossible to see.
  • It feels like a massive downgrade having less vehicles (at least I couldn't find any way to change them?), even if they are made better, it overall feels like a huge downgrade in that department.
  • most likely blocklands fault here, but I kept getting stuck around in the jetski area. It was really really annoying.
  • The level design is very inconsistent. I feel like having random areas with no water adds an artificial difficulty towards your maps. (in the water maps.)
  • Having to right click to respawn your kart is kind of annoying. I like the control k factor, but right clicking to get out and flip over your kart feels more efficient. It can and can't I guess.
  • As I'm typing this you can respawn upside down when you try to respawn.
  • The round timers are too short at the first round, especially when people are ghosting.
  • Not every round should be lap based, that's boring. I think it would benefit more if you were to include both map structures from Speedkart.
  • The announcer is downright annoying. It's just annoying.
  • Some maps feel too bland. Some look good and some feel like they are outright too wide. I understand its racing and such but it feels to large even for the compensation.
  • It should seriously cut to the person who won if you're not doing second or third place.
  • The anti gravity maps are really really awkward to navigate.
  • Vehicle variety = good, no stage variety = bad
  • No second lap or final lap sounds?
  • To reiterate, the music is not good.
  • a changeup for the final lap would be a good idea.
  • No second place or third finishes? just first place wins? I dunno man, if you wanna do that at least have the camera pan to the winner at the end.

What I think would help improve. Again, I don't know too much about eventing and such.
  • If possible, make round 1 timer longer for people to ghost properly.
  • Checkpoints should reset position instead of moving you back to where it is.
  • Right click gets you out of vehicle, but control k spawns you back into your vehicle at a checkpoint
  • More map variety, especially in default maps. Just to showcase you're doing more then just laps.
I don't mean to rip at you filipe, but there is much room for improvement here. Also, if I'm saying anything wrong correct me. I'm not too much into the gamemode kinda stuff.
TO ALL WHO SAY THIS WAS RUSHED:
Maybe you should've stopped bugging him about it and waited.
I highly doubt that he was pressured by people telling him to release it.
people were allowed to submit Lap-based (race laps) and Sprint-based (get to point A to point B to win, like in  Speedkart maps)

i guess not enough sprint maps were submitted or let put in place?
was he encouraging just lap based maps or both?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:33:06 AM by Nal »

• Not every round should be lap based, that's boring. I think it would benefit more if you were to include both map structures from Speedkart.
people were allowed to submit Lap-based (race laps) and Sprint-based (get to point A to point B to win, like in  Speedkart maps)

i guess not enough sprint maps were submitted or let put in place?

was he encouraging just lap based maps or both?
i think he just wanted maps in general, as long as they worked well
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:20:56 PM by The Resonte! »

Smooth gameplay for wheeled vehicles when you don't collide into anyone, I really like that aspect. Everything looks great and it mostly works, but there's a lot to fix up.

The checkpoint system is bare-bones and could be improved massively.
  • Forced reset by bricks and water is abrupt. Adding some indication that you're about to respawn would help, like your kart setting on fire (setting the kart's health to 1 and back will achieve this) or your vignette going red for a sec.
  • Checkpoint resetting is also abrupt, especially when suddenly appearing on the track in front of other players. Resetting suspended in the air for a bit would help with that, and maybe include the spawn explosion to indicate the reset.
  • Instead of checkpoint lines, use checkpoint boxes or general areas where the player will reset anywhere inside. This will make resetting inside of other people rare.
  • Sometimes I end up resetting off the edge of a track and can't do anything about it until the game ends. Making the reset area more inside the track might fix this.
  • Planes are complete bollocks with checkpoints. Give the plane some forward velocity when resetting so it doesn't always drop.
  • Preserving the player's position and direction on a checkpoint isn't a great idea. Don't reset them near the edge of the track and have a set direction with each checkpoint.

The tracks include very little in interactivity, or anything generally interesting sometimes.
  • Alter the track after laps e.g. parts of it fakekill, more areas of it are revealed or closed off, water rises a bit.
  • Some of the maps are very bland and repetitive, especially that jungle flying track.
  • Mark checkpoints with something like statues or flags.
  • The jungle flying map is terrible for planes. Slow-turning vehicles in a tight space is frustrating.
  • Maybe give some ambiance alongside the music.
  • Have several music tracks for each map, listening to the same thing is irritating.
  • Add some sound and text indication when completing a lap, and global sound for people who finish.
  • Really feels like 1st or nothing since the game resets when one guy finishes. Maybe instead add a short time limit (20 secs or something) to let people finish.

Also, give a lot more intermission time when changing maps to allow people to ghost.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:11:20 PM by Abstath »

Alright looking at some of the issues and suggestions, I've got a few ideas in mind for the future, primarily on the builder's side which will ultimately improve player experience:
Race Improvements:
  • Resets will feature an (adjustable) delay where a ghost of the kart will flash before reset. Direction of kart reset is determined by builder.
  • A short between map delay allowing ghosting and whatever is you people do in downtime
  • JUST AN IDEA I MIGHT DO: Pre-Customized Karts that take on paint can color. Users with GUI may further individually paint parts as desired
Building Improvements:
  • Checkpoints can have own orientations for resets
  • Lap Bricks to determine laps on a on-map basis, essentially allowing for one-way maps to be ported.
  • JUST AN IDEA I MIGHT DO: Inspired by the new duplicator, a way of customizing checkpoint size, orientation, and reset orientation, putting more power in the builders hand.
It's worth noting a lot of these issues are from the building of tracks and not the actual gamemode, so please lay off poor Filipe. Any gamemode issues are from me, lay em on so I can is em. All vehicle problems are Filipe, which I'll leave him to fix.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:05:41 PM by Alphadin »

I see a lot of flack coming on to these tracks. I am primarily responsible for Bingo Hills, Rock Canyon, and Dragon Waters. Please tell me if there are any issues you feel need to be addressed about my maps specifically and I'll see what I can do.

I'll also address any issues related to the vehicles that are necessary to fix.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:18:31 PM by Filipe »

Since people are telling you how you improved, here are the things you missed so that you can add them in the next update.
-Battle tracks
-Supertank
-SuperBattleplane
-SuperSnowmobile
-Hazards (I've played through all the maps and the only track that had a trap that could be activated through the player was Archipelago.)

Just pointing that out there.

Since people are telling you how you improved, here are the things you missed so that you can add them in the next update.
-Battle tracks
-Supertank
-SuperBattleplane
-SuperSnowmobile
-Hazards (I've played through all the maps and the only track that had a trap that could be activated through the player was Archipelago.)

Just pointing that out there.
The only thing there that I don't know if I will add or not is the snowmobile, but the rest you can expect in a later update.

- race stats can be constant, they're not
Race Stats? As in who's in first and who's not? Elaborate please.
- using BrickGroup.deleteAll(); instead of chainkilling everything to prevent hanging (people think they crash, they don't)
Is there a function called when it's over or do I have to work something out myself?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:14:43 PM by Alphadin »

Race Stats? As in who's in first and who's not? Elaborate please.Is there a function called when it's over or do I have to work something out myself?
responded over steam, just pasting for reference

»TheBlackParrot«: by race stats, i meant having a couple of timers (overall timer, lap timer), and having what position you're in based on when you clear checkpoints
»TheBlackParrot«: and then BrickGroup.chainDeleteAll(); won't clear all bricks ina  group all at one time
Alphadin.EXE: It's like a regular clear bricks
Alphadin.EXE: Clears em as they go
»TheBlackParrot«: clearing larger bricks like that all at once lags the hell out of everyone on the server because of octtree calculations
»TheBlackParrot«: yes
Alphadin.EXE: Got it, but is there a default way to check for end or do I have to make one myself
»TheBlackParrot«: i think there's a callback, i forget what it is
»TheBlackParrot«: just BrickGroup_888888.dump();

My only complaint for this game mode is that the respawn system is a pain in the ass.
Several times when racing on certain servers, I'd come up to a point where I was in a good position, some guy respawns right as I drive by and my kart performs a 9/11 out of bounds.

If there was something that could alert players of a respawn, or anything to give it a little delay, that'd be lovely.

holy stuff it's finally released

I haven't tried it out yet but wow this feedback
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:04:32 PM by Electrk. »

Well forget, this is not what I was expecting, we did beta tested this server a couple of times before releasing it and we thought it was ready to be released and most issues that were reported were fixed in related to the tracks, but we did not expect those issues after release and we didn't had those on the beta, so I apologize about this, and I suggest to wait until we manage to fix most of the problems, in the meantime try to host a server with less players, atleast 10, hopefully that will reduce the ammount of problems, and yes I know that is stupid.
Good on you for addressing some of the issues.

Good on you for addressing some of the issues.
if we actually ran into these problems on the beta we would have delayed the whole thing but yeah thanks for reporting, we are looking at most of the problems.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:09:21 PM by Filipe »

The jungle track does indeed have quite a problem with the amount of testing done on it. Three rounds of testing were done, followed by some edits to make it slightly less hard (reduction in tree density, collision removed on red boost rings). During design, it was intended to have altitude have a risk/reward factor, in that going lower is faster, but also harder as the valley narrows towards the bottom (as valleys tend to). As for the height limit: the height limit is the top of the valley. Making it taller would defeat the point of racing in the valley. As for the tight turns, I'm sorry your piloting skills aren't up to it.